Solved

Planing Method G - Order Cover Time - Manufactured Parts

Badge +5

We are currently trying to use the order cover time on a manufactured part by setting it to Planning Method G. We want the demand as seen on MS Level 1 to be assessed over the cover time and used to generate shop order requisitions for the demand within the order cover time.

However, Planning Method G only appears to work for Purchased Parts. Has anyone managed to get this work for manufactured parts?

icon

Best answer by FNSMITHUN 23 May 2023, 16:30

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @MDDTJAMU,

Yes, planning method G works for manufactured parts. But when it comes to Master scheduling, it is possible to create MS level 1 for planning methods A,D,E,F & G however, MS does not consider lot forming rules in planning method E,F & G in MS 1 calculations.

Hope this helps!!

Regards,

Mithun K V

Badge +5

Hi Mithun,

Yes that helps, thank you. Do you know if it is possible to incorporate those lot forming rules in the MS by other means? Would this require a customisation?

KR,
Tafrey

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @MDDTJAMU ,

I don’t think so we have any work around to consider lot forming rules in MS other than using the min, max lot sizes or the rate by period functionality but none of this will yield the exact result what you are looking for as these works based on static lot sizes and order code G will decide lot size based on the demands within the order cover time.

Another suggestion would be you can use the different MS set to capture the actual forecast and then enter the aggregated forecast as per your cover period in the MS set 1. Then you get the aggregated forecast in MS 1 and supply requests are created accordingly. If needed, you can even have a custom event created to generate the aggregated forecast in MS set 1 as per the forecast in the other MS set.

Hope this helps!!

Regards,

Mithun K V

Badge +5

Hi @MDDTJAMU ,

I don’t think so we have any work around to consider lot forming rules in MS other than using the min, max lot sizes or the rate by period functionality but none of this will yield the exact result what you are looking for as these works based on static lot sizes and order code G will decide lot size based on the demands within the order cover time.

Another suggestion would be you can use the different MS set to capture the actual forecast and then enter the aggregated forecast as per your cover period in the MS set 1. Then you get the aggregated forecast in MS 1 and supply requests are created accordingly. If needed, you can even have a custom event created to generate the aggregated forecast in MS set 1 as per the forecast in the other MS set.

Hope this helps!!

Regards,

Mithun K V

Thank you Mithun, we will explore these suggestions. And yes very helpful!

Badge +2

We are looking for Planning method G works in MS as well. Will IFS consider to modify the code?

Badge +5

We are looking for Planning method G works in MS as well. Will IFS consider to modify the code?

We never asked them but probably. We’ve gone with an IFS partner that has created a custom process. It works by populating the MS 1 rate by period(s), for a given part, in a way that emulates the cover time functionality. 

Badge +2

We never asked them but probably. We’ve gone with an IFS partner that has created a custom process. It works by populating the MS 1 rate by period(s), for a given part, in a way that emulates the cover time functionality. 

Based on Mithun K’s reply, planning method G works in MS 1 but the lot sizes on the Inventory Part will be ignored. Have you got a chance to try that out? I changed the planning method from A to G on a MS 1 part, but did not see any difference after MS calculation.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hi,

In core logic in MS there is no code whatsoever that performs order cover time logic, when lot sizing and creating the MPS.

It could be interesting to implement in future releases. But we have to consider Planning Time Fence and probably the last shop order requisition within PTF so that we create an MPS schedule that is a litle bit stable between the Level 1 Calculations. I am just afraid that if we just implement a dynamic lot sizing rule without a thougt we could create a nervous system.

Because the idea with G, for some customers, is to create a more stable schedule.

-Mats

Badge +5

Based on Mithun K’s reply, planning method G works in MS 1 but the lot sizes on the Inventory Part will be ignored. Have you got a chance to try that out? I changed the planning method from A to G on a MS 1 part, but did not see any difference after MS calculation.

Sorry, I’m not sure I fully understand. The lot forming rules were the key element of Planning method G we needed, we didn’t really check if any of its other system effects were working for manufactured parts. They unfortunately weren’t and it sounds like you came to the same conclusion based on your observations.

Badge +5

Hi,

In core logic in MS there is no code whatsoever that performs order cover time logic, when lot sizing and creating the MPS.

It could be interesting to implement in future releases. But we have to consider Planning Time Fence and probably the last shop order requisition within PTF so that we create an MPS schedule that is a litle bit stable between the Level 1 Calculations. I am just afraid that if we just implement a dynamic lot sizing rule without a thougt we could create a nervous system.

Because the idea with G, for some customers, is to create a more stable schedule.

-Mats

It appears to work with manipulation of the rate by period. I’d hope it could be built as an addtiional layer of logic on top of that.

Badge +1

Hi,

-Mats

As a new user of IFS (coming from SAP) this is the first thing that has made me go ‘hmmm?’ with the product, that being, time period aggregation of calculated supply isn’t possible to use for top level parts coming out of MS, but yet it is for any MRP planned subassemblies or lower level items. Otherwise I’ve been impressed. Hope this percieved gap is addressed technically in a future release.

Biggest issue I see is where the same buyer with same supplier might have to manage MS-planned buy, brand, sell type purchased items differently (fixed lot) than other MRP planned purchased end items where ‘G’ strategy actually works (period lot control).