Question

How to firm shop order when MRP run

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

When run MRP, some shop order would not like to being proposed to change as “Later order” or “early order”, when we can set up to make it happen, someone can help to solve. thank you very much. 

10 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

For this firm shop order, it still can be processed as usual, which we would not like to get message to change after MRP run because some operation had been finished.

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

Are you meaning you would like the Shop Order to be automatically processed (firmed) without user action?  You can look into Process Type on the Inventory Part.  This allows setting different actions for the Shop Order based on this setting after the shop order is created.

The different events are then set in the basic data for the Process Type

You also need a Scheduled Database Task to run (normally after MRP is run) to process the shop orders created according to the process type.  You’ll need one task per Process Type according the the behavior desired.

I hope I have understood your question, but I’m not sure.

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Thanks for your quick reply, I will check with our developer to check how to configurate this process as I only can find below list for selection, no any firm shop order. So it can be configurate as you mention right ?

Thanks

Susan

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

Yes, each process type has to be setup with one or more of the Process Events listed.  Firm Shop Order seems to be a local description because it isn’t a listed status for the shop order.  It also seems that you have two values set for Process Type already, but with no events included for them.  If you already have Process Types set for inventory parts, be sure that what is added as a Process Event is what you want to change or update for all of the orders.  You may want to create a new Process Type to introduce this for items on a pilot basis before adding to all parts.

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Thanks for your feedback and sorry for the late report. 

Can you please help to advise how to set up Firm shop order process event in local description? Then we can create task schedule to pilot. 

Thanks

Susan

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

If you want to release and firm all orders as soon as they are entered or at least the ones scheduled for the next 3 months, this is the setting I would recommend

If you want to release and firm selected orders as you approach the need date for the orders, then you may want to reduce the days before start like this

If you want to also attempt to reserve the shop order and allocate available inventory, the reserve function is also available.  These are the three process events that are available for this setting.  You can release the Requisition, release the Shop Order, and Reserve the Shop Order on different times by running the same process each day and using different values on the days before start date.

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

thanks for your recommend of process type set up and configuration. 

my question is how to create “process event” of firm shop order from where , which to develop by developer later. 

Thanks

Susan

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

You can’t add to the list of process events, they are created by IFS.

Maybe we are back to a misunderstanding of what ‘firm shop order’ means?  That isn’t an IFS status or term, so it is a local understanding.  What does ‘firm’ mean in IFS terms, ‘Released’, ‘Started’, just scheduled but Planned?  

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry for my not explanation in detail, the “Firm” means to freeze certain shop order or purchase order , which will be kept there and some APP - MRP calculation will not make any proposal to pull in or push out, it will be treated supply is there. The status of “Released” “ started” in shop order and “released” “received” in purchase order are the supply order’s steps, which can be proposed by MRP. 

So, does that mean IFS have no this kind of function of “Frozen” supply when MRP calculation? right? is it possible to enhance as it should be key requirement for manufacturing?

Thanks

Susan

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hi Susan,

Actually I have heard this requirement a few times, like one time per every 4-5 years. First time was 1997 (A Swedish customer making military equipment)

And I kind of agree, MRP believes any supply order can be moved in any direction. Purchase Orders and Shop Orders - no difference. Like for example a confirmed PO line with due date in June… MRP might say: “I like to move it” so it can be received this Friday.

It is kind of interesting that requirements from customers haven’t been more ‘intense’, when it comes to this. I mean we have sooo many customers out there who uses MRP.

Best Regards,

Mats