Question

How to delete the default unit of measures

• 24 March 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hi All,

Need a little guidance regarding when I am trying to delete the Unit of Measure in IFS it is throwing an error of “Cannot delete ISO Units”. Is it possible to delete the units in any other way?

Thanks for the guidance in advance.

Regards

Mani

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

You can’t remove the system defined units of measure.  Just the ones you’ve created and only then if they aren’t used by any part.

Curious, why would you want to delete them rather than training the users how to setup parts correctly?  Better yet, restrict those who can setup parts to be only the ones who are trained and competent.  

Making changing to system defined parameters is only a recipe for problems in the long run.  You never know what IFS is going to update or change in the future and removing defined information from the base layer can break an update later on and you won’t know why the update won’t load correctly.

I definitely recommend avoid fighting against these sorts of things and find ways to manage them in other ways.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I would also like to not have all of these units of measure active in our system. As to why, I prefer to configure the system in such a way as to limit the mistakes that our users can make. I am pretty sure my business will never use an AU (Astronomical Unit), or the bulk of the other units included in IFS. However, if they are included in there, it makes it more difficult for our part creators to know what part numbers they should be using. Some people respond to this with “just document what UoMs you are using” however, why would I want my users to have to browse to a document to verify something the system can help them with. Providing my users with fewer choices reduces mistakes, simplifies training and reduces documentation. 

I appreciate your comment about changing system defined parameters causing issues, but  I would suggest we be given the ability to inactivate something vs. deleting it. If the particular parameter is needed down the line, the update should check to see if it is inactivated and prompt the user to activate it. This is about making the system easier for the user, not easier for the developer. 

Thanks,

Paul

Userlevel 6
Badge +20

I would also like to not have all of these units of measure active in our system. As to why, I prefer to configure the system in such a way as to limit the mistakes that our users can make. I am pretty sure my business will never use an AU (Astronomical Unit), or the bulk of the other units included in IFS. However, if they are included in there, it makes it more difficult for our part creators to know what part numbers they should be using. Some people respond to this with “just document what UoMs you are using” however, why would I want my users to have to browse to a document to verify something the system can help them with. Providing my users with fewer choices reduces mistakes, simplifies training and reduces documentation. 

I appreciate your comment about changing system defined parameters causing issues, but  I would suggest we be given the ability to inactivate something vs. deleting it. If the particular parameter is needed down the line, the update should check to see if it is inactivated and prompt the user to activate it. This is about making the system easier for the user, not easier for the developer. 

Thanks,

Paul

@JDSPREH have you looked at turning off the ‘Used in Application’ attribute in ISO Code Usage > Unit of Measure? Anything set to ‘No’ will not be available to users in their lists.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Matt, your Superhero title is appropriate. That is exactly what I am looking for. Unfortunately it appears I don’t have access to that with my normal admin login. Checked my IFS Admin User account and it doesn't have access either. Will check with support on what I need to get access to that. Thank you so much! 

Userlevel 6
Badge +20

@JDSPREH make sure you’re looking at the correct page.

The screenshot you provided is in the path Application Base Setup > Unit of Measure > Units of Measure, which is used for creating user-defined units.

The attribute ‘Used in Application’ is configured in a different page, found in the path Application Base Setup > System Setup > ISO Code Usage > Unit of Measure.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Gotcha. Found it. Getting to know IFS and was told that pages with the same name in different paths were the same. Have to say that the UX of IFS is less than stellar. 

Still in our implementation phase, so lots of learning to do.