Question

How to capture demand for component part with part status that does not allow demand?

• 3 January 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Our scenario is like below example.

Manufactured top level part number “10”. Consists of semi-finished manufactured part “20” that consists of purchased component “30”. MRP is used to explode demand.

Part status used:

• Part No 10: A (Demands Allowed)
  • Part No 20: E (Demands Not Allowed)
  • Part No 30: A (Demands Allowed)

I can register demand on Part No. 10 (as expected). I have nothing in stock and MRP will create a SO requisition for Part No. 10.
When I try to create SO from req., system will present an error message “Demand for shop material allocation part not allowed…”. This is fine and logical but, in our scenario, too late!

We need an early warning that we will run in to this problem before we try to create a shop order. It could e.g. be that part No. 30 is out of stock and has a long lead time.

I have tried MRP action proposals, MRP background job log and Inventory part availability exceptions. Since demand is not allowed for Part No. 20 it will be ignored and not present any messages. Same goes for Part No. 30.

Is there a way to identify this type of part status issues before SO is created?  i.e. demand created for part No. that does not allow demand?

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi,

It sounds like you want the demands from Part 10 to explode down to Part 30 without creating a demand for Part 20.

Rather that changing the Part Status to ‘E’ (demands not allowed) for Part 20, could you change the Planning Method to ‘P’ instead?

If you have stock of Part 20 and it is sufficient to cover the demands from Part 10, the system will assume this stock can be used.

If you don’t have enough stock of Part 20, the system will then explode the demands to Part 30 without creating any supply proposals for Part 20.

I hope that this helps.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi,

No part 20 is a normal manufactured part. I need a heads up that this part number has a problem. There is a demand, but it is not recognized by MRP. If I get a heads up I can decide what to do; change part status or replace with other part in structure. Now I only get this information when I create shop order and this is to late.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback.  Apologies if I have misunderstood what you are trying to do.

I don’t understand why you have set the Part Status as ‘demands not allowed’ for Part 20 if it is a normal manufactured part.  In addition, the idea of then reviewing and potentially changing the Part Status seems unusual.

Typically, the normal manufactured part (Part 20) would be seen by MRP and any demands for Part 30 would explode down.  If this was a long lead time item, it would be considered by MRP.

Then, in scenarios where there are material shortages or exceptions, the planner would use the standard IFS screens such as MRP Action Proposals, MRP Part Information or Inventory Part Availability Planning to make decisions on how to resolve the issues.

This could include using an alternative part (e.g. swap out Part 20 for something else) or perhaps expediting the supply of Part 30 or whatever.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi,

Thanks for quick response.
We want to maintain the product lifecycle and set inactive parts to E-Expired status (Onhand Not Allowed, Demands Not Allowed, Supplies Not Allowed).

For this we use a scheduled migration job that set part status to E-Expired (Onhand Not Allowed, Demands Not Allowed, Supplies Not Allowed) for inventory part under following conditions:

• Lifecycle Stage is Expired (no issues for past 720 days)
  • No qty on hand exists
  • No demand or supply exist in Inventory part availability planning

Reason for this is to maintain product lifecycle (status) in an automated way. We have thousands of part numbers, and it is impossible to do this manually. 

By setting status E we get an error message if we try to register a customer order. If we have not sold the product for two years, this error message is a good trigger to check for e.g. prices, drawing revisions, tools and equipment.

Using example with part numbers 10, 20 and 30 it could be that we have some qty in stock of part No. 10 and status is A – Active.
Part number 20 is set to E-Expired due to conditions listed above. As an example, we can say that this part was produced in a work center that does not exist any longer.
If a register a customer order on part 10 on a qty equal or less than qty in stock all is fine. If a register on qty larger than qty in stock, MRP is expected to explode demand. This will not happen since part number 20 does not allow for demand.

As mentioned before I am looking for an early warning that we have a conflict in demand for part 20 (and 30). It is to late when we try to create SO from SO req.

I have tried to find a way but failed. Maybe there is no way to accomplish this?

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi,

Thanks for providing the additional details, it now makes much more sense.

To be honest, if you are using the Part Status solution, I think the only way to get an early warning/heads-up is to create a report that takes all of the customer order demands for (say) Part 10 where there is insufficient quantity on hand, and then reference the product structure to indicate any sub-assemblies (say) Part 20 where the Part Status = E.

The report will then provide a work-to list to indicate any customer order demands where you will need to make decisions about how to fulfil them in the way you describe.  Not sure if the report needs to be ‘multi-level’ but ‘single-level’ should be a good starting point.

Good luck!