Solved

IFS Apps V10- IFS Recommended Oracle Full DB Cloning Procedure

• 3 March 2020
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Dear All,

IFS recommended Oracle full DB cloning procedure <STEP by STEP>. Following DB Back-up and Restore process.

1. How to take a DB back-up from one envorinment <STEP by STEP>
  2. How to restore a DB to another envorinment <STEP by STEP>

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Vivek NR.

icon

Best answer by william.klotz 4 March 2020, 03:39

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Hi Vivek

People write complete books on such subjects. I expect there will be many people with many differing and conflicting opinions on these subjects.

We have an IFSv9 production system running on Oracle 12c Enterprise Ed.

We run RMAN backups (out of the box and no additional cost).

When I need to restore/refresh one of our IFS test instances I use the RMAN duplicate function in a run block changing the locations of restored files, and specifying exactly what time I wish to restore to.

Once the DB is restored (preferably a different name/sid), you then need to run the IFS Apps reconfigure. Your Apps server will need to be patched up to the same level as production.

Great care must be taken, as getting restores wrong could pose a huge risk to the production system. I would recommend using a separate host for all Test/Pilot systems, both database and App servers. You will need to ensure your Oracle license allows for this.

Will be interesting how others do this. There is always a better way….

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi Vivek,

We use RMAN duplicate to perform a refresh of our test and development environments because we can not bring production offline.  Also by using our RMAN backups we actually are testing our backups to make sure we can restore them.  If your company has an Oracle DBA they’ll know how to perform backups using RMAN and refresh your test environment using RMAN duplicate.  If you do not have a person who knows Oracle I’d recommend contracting an Oracle DBA to create the scripts and test the procedures.  You wouldn’t want to damage or corrupt your production database.

William Klotz

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Hi @MikeArbon / @william.klotz,

Thanks for your suggestion and support. let me try practically, I am a beginner & leaner  :-)

Regards,

Vivek NR.