Solved

Adding new fields in UI Designer

• 13 February 2020
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Under our part usage, i am trying to also add the description of the part which is unfortunately located in the part table. Since there is nothing connecting these two it cannot determine the path. i manually add it via the item path in the UI designer but it doesn't return any values. there are a lot of screens that i want to do this one. What would be the best way to go about this?

icon

Best answer by anmise 27 February 2020, 06:10

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7

I guess you could use a user_def field on the part usage and setup a default in custom metadata. Not sure if that’s the best way @Mike The FSM TechnoGeek ?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

@anmise  - I’ve done that but still not showing anything. When i added it i get the below error: 

I changed the path to part usage but it didnt work. tried changing it to PART but that didnt work either.

I went to go play with the lookup navigation but that didnt provide any results either

Userlevel 7

@anmise  - I’ve done that but still not showing anything. When i added it i get the below error: 

I changed the path to part usage but it didnt work. tried changing it to PART but that didnt work either.

I went to go play with the lookup navigation but that didnt provide any results either

If you've setup the metadata I described above you should be able to just add the user_def to the screen and it should work. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

@anmise  - i did set it up that way and i know why its not showing up

it will show up on anything new added but anything that already exists wont show

For example, a part usage from last week wont show but a part usage added right now will show

If i manually modify the part record today it will show it. Is there a way around this to include all old data that was entered?

hopefully this makes sense :) 

Userlevel 7

I'd just run a sql update to add the part descriptions that are missing. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Perhaps im mis-understanding. I just updated the part description of 1 part (to the same name of course) and any old part usage are still showing blank

Userlevel 7

Perhaps im mis-understanding. I just updated the part description of 1 part (to the same name of course) and any old part usage are still showing blank

Ok, I’ve learned another better way now.  There is an existing part_alias view associated with the request screen that you can use to drag and drop the part description in to the part usage screen (steps 4 an onwards for instuctions how).

1. Create a new alias table in Custom Metadata (or use existing part_alias)

2. Refresh Cache
  3. Open UI designer
  4. Click on N:N to create a child relation between part_usage and part_alias1
  5. Add screen fields from your alias table e.g. part_alias1
  6. Set field to read only (as any change will update the part table itself)
  7. Done.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Im sorry @anmise - i think i missed some details in my original post. in the part usage screen itself, i can add description no problem as there is a relationship with the part table already there

im looking at it from other screens. in this example the product screen under the part used tab

I’ve added the description here and it does not put the information

Userlevel 7

Im sorry @anmise - i think i missed some details in my original post. in the part usage screen itself, i can add description no problem as there is a relationship with the part table already there

im looking at it from other screens. in this example the product screen under the part used tab

Same concept applies. Create the relationship to the part table (or alias tables if you need it in multiple tabs). 

Userlevel 7

Define the relation between part_usage and your alias table.

Add the field to the screen and make it read only

Refresh cache and open the screen you modified.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Got it!

Thank you!

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Thank you @anmise !!