Skip to main content
Solved

Project Exceptions

• 30 May 2024
  • 4 replies

Does any understand the rules around Project Exceptions and how to clear them especially the two that affect your cost:

• Resource Planning
  • Planned Value Exceeded

Is there any documentation that explain these, have been looking at the Planned Value Exceeded and just presumed that it was that my Planned Cost was lower that my Committed Cost + Used cost. But on the example I looked at my planned cost was fine. So looked in more detail and discovered that Baseline cost was lower than my Committed + Used Cost,  adding my activity to the Baseline cleared my exception. 

Thanks

Mark

4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hi,

Have a look at these documentation links to see if it makes it clearer. 

https://docs.ifs.com/ifsclouddocs/24r1/ProjectManagement/ActivityAnalyzeProjectExceptions.htm

and the process model: 10.21.5.1 Analyze Project Performance (ifs.com)

The analysis aims to detect problems which the activity or its connected objects might have at the time of the evaluation, and includes:

• Checking if the activity budget has been exceeded.
  • Checking if critical deliveries and work can be achieved on time.
  • Evaluating the progress and need date of the activity connected objects.

To help with the above analysis, the following conditions are automatically presented as Activity Exceptions:

• Resource planning has un-spread hours or missing price
  • Committed + Used Cost exceed Planned Cost
  • Committed + Used Hours exceed Planned Hours
  • Connected orders that are planned/due to be executed late

You can analyze activity connected objects using one of the below mentioned methods.

• In Connections page of each connected object
  • In Activity Monitoring - Project Connections page
  • In Project Gantt
  • In Project Exceptions lobby

The Gantt gives a visual help to analyze activity exceptions. It is possible to:

• View activities with exceptions.
  • View time-critical objects connected to an activity, making it easy to determine if any such connected object has a need or required date that fall outside the activity's early start and early finish dates. The objects that can be seen in the Gantt are Purchase Order line, Shop Order, Work Order and DOP Header.
Badge +3

Hi Asa

Thanks for your reply, i had come across these documents but was having trouble clearing some of them, as what is not documented is that the exception can not be cleared unless the Base Line cost is greater than the committed cost + Used Cost.

Thanks

Mark

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hi

If I understand you correctly, then your baseline cost was lower than your planned cost, this suggests that the project had a baseline where the Earned Value (EV) method was set to ‘Baseline’, and the planned cost increased after this baseline was established. 

When the EV method is set to ‘Baseline’, it uses the baseline values compared to committed/used to assess project exceptions. If you wish to update the baseline values, you can either update them for the entire project or select a specific activity and use the ‘Add to Baseline’ option. You can also base the EV method on the planned values, if applicable, it will then use the planned values to assess the exceptions.

This example will give an exception if I have EV method “Baseline”, but not if the EV method is “Planned”. 

https://docs.ifs.com/ifsclouddocs/24r1/ProjectManagement/ActivitySetBaseline.htm
https://docs.ifs.com/ifsclouddocs/24r1/ProjectManagement/ActivityAddToBaseline.htm

Badge +3

Hi Asa 

Thanks for the latest Info, the Golden Nugget was knowing that the EV method when setting a Milestone affects the Project Exceptions. 

Thanks

Mark