Question

In project time reporting, Is it possible to restrict the hours based on Employee Allocation

• 7 August 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge +2

Hello,

In Project>>>Activity>>>Resources >>> Employee Allocation tab >>> an employee is allocated with 100 hours. But system allows to book more than allocated hours.

Is it possible to restrict the employee to book not more than allocated hours.

Is there is any standard functionality available to control the time reporting based on employee allocation

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @TecSaravR,

Not quite sure whether this is possible. But you can try defining the Company property JOBRECON might prevent employee from confirming the hours if not reconciled.

Linkedin - https://www.linkedin.com/in/dharshankumaarmahendran/

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hello @TecSaravR 

I am sure that @Dharshankumaar Mahendran advice is sound but I would question why you want to restrict the employee from being able to report their actual hours. Someone has to be the source of the truth. The IFS system assumes that the employee is the one who  knows what they were working on and for how long. The planner may have said that the activity should take 10 hours of a resource but it is the employee who will actually know how long they worked. Where should the extra time that the employee worked be booked?

If it is a question of billing hours, I would suggest that you accept the actuals from the employee but then update the sales quantity on the transaction to the planned quantity with a configuration

Gareth Williams

Principal Consultant

Badge +2

Hi @GAWIUK 

We are facing some challenges, For example, Designers are working in multiple projects, but there are not booking correct hours in respective project i.e they use to book entire hours in a specific project. As a result  project cost is high in few projects and less in other projects.

If we have a control based on Employee allocation, then they can’t book more hours. Incase if they worked more hours, then they can ask planner or Project manager to increate the hours in employee allocation 

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi @TecSaravR ,

I understand where you are coming from. It does suggest that a custom event may be the best option to control the number of hours being recorded against an activity to not exceed the planned/allocated hours.

But, this sort of situation always leads back to the philosophical question; should you control or police user’s behaviour. Is it better to monitor their behaviour and use the resulting information to direct re-education opportunities (with a baseball bat if necessary) or come up with a coding solution that controls what they are able to do. It usually depends on who the users are and your appetite for coding.