Question

ETC Spreading Formula in Project Forecasting through Profile

• 1 November 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

I experienced some weired values after the spreading. 

I have a simple spread profile with 10 intervals and 10% distribution.

Consider a Forecast with 100,000 ETC.

Then spread with the above profile.

Check the Forecast spread details which are with wiered results.

Please assist with the formula to verify the data.

BR,

Thushan

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Hi Thushan,

IFS uses the workdays per period as a basis for spreading. Therefore, the amount per period will vary.

BR/MR10

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hi Thushan,

Please note that the intervals in the spread profile don’t correspond to accounting periods. Instead the date range of the forecast line is split into the number of intervals from your spread profile and then spread into these intervals based on the percentage set for each interval.

Your screenshot shows spreading into eleven periods, which I suspect is why you see this effect. If you wish to split into ten periods, you could adjust the Start Date and End Date on the forecast line and re-spread it. However, note that as each month is for a different number of days, you still would not get an equal split for each month/accounting period.

Hope this helps.

Johan

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hi Johan/MR10,

Thank you for the quick response.

Now I changed the no of intervals to 11 and re spread.

Still, there is a difference. That means the no of working days will differ hence the numbers differ. Hope no of working days will be fetched from the Project calendar. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hi Thushan,

To supplement Johan’s response, if you are spreading an ETC of 10,000 with your initial 4-4-5 profile, and if your activity has 100 working days, it would mean that the spread profile would break down the ETC into 10 working days with an estimate of 1,000 each (100 for each work day)

Now, your activity start date and end date seems to span 11 accounting periods from start to finish. Assume that there are 5 working days only in the first accounting period, 2022-07, then the profile spread would only be 500 for that. If period 2022-08 has 22 working days as per project calendar, then the spread would be 2200 for that, and so on and so forth.

Essentially, the value per working day is decided based on which block that day will fall into, and the distribution you have attributed to that block. The spread for each accounting period will be determined based on the which sequence of those working days fall into that period.

The spread profile exists so that there is an easy, repeatable template that can be used by Project Managers/ Finance Responsibles to spread estimates. 

Regards,
Pradeep