Solved

Why multiple contract line items cannot be connected to the same project activity

• 9 March 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

In connecting a sales contract to a project, Add Project Activities to Contract Line Item functionality, one prerequisite is that 

• Only activities that have not already been connected to a line item within that contract can be added

Is there a specific reason for this? Can’t it be done the same way that more than one activities can be connected to an item by giving each a weight?

TIA

icon

Best answer by Tharindu Illangasinghe 10 August 2021, 15:04

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Hi @TAPSUDJAY 

In a scenario, when you invoice the customer based on the progress you have made then the progress is retrieved to the Item line from the project activity ( after applying the weights if the item has been connected to multiple activities).

Now, if there is a way to connect the same activity (x) to multiple items(1, 2) in the contract then you will see the same progress (x’s progress is 60%) in multiple items(1 - 60%, 2- 60%), hence customer will be over invoiced. Because, it is like you are invoicing for the progress made in multiple items based on a progress made in a common activity. To avoid this misinterpretation this is purposely blocked in the application. 

Similarly, you will get a warning message when you try to connect the same activity to multiple items in different contracts. 

Hope this clarifies the question you have.

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Thanks for the explanation @Tharindu Illangasinghe. It makes sense and well explain the reason behind the current functionality.

I was wondering, just like weights are used and considered when an item is connected to many activities, to determine the progress of the contract items, can’t the same be used to determine the progress of a line that may be connected to several project activities? For example, if the item is connected to 2 activities 50-50, then if one activity is completed 100% while the other activity is 0%, then the sales contract item progress is 50%. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Hi @TAPSUDJAY ,

That sounds like good suggestion.

If you have access to https://community.ifs.com/ideas tab then you can log that as an idea. If more customers would benefit from that then RnD might consider that as a future development.

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Hi @Tharindu Illangasinghe, unfortunately as a customer  I do not have access to the idea wall. If you don’t mind, can you please log the suggestion to IFS on behalf of me? We actually do have that need. We use a project structure template so easy use, yet there are instances where multiple items should connect to the same activity. Due to this limitation, we sometimes end up having items not connected or having to create a ‘duplicate’ activity just to connect the item. It would be great if it can be added to the idea wall so IFS is aware.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Hi @TAPSUDJAY ,

Sure thing. I have created an Idea now.

Leaving the link here so anyone comes across the same requirement can see the Idea too.