Solved

Using Repair Shop Orders with Customer Orders - Making it Easier

• 8 February 2021
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

We are running Apps10 UPD8

I’m wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to make the following process easier.

We sell some off the shelf products that require calibration or testing before we ship them to the customer.   We currently use Repair Shop Orders to do this.  This process works well because the same techs that do regular shop orders also do this work.  We need to use repair shop orders because the part# we are shipping doesn’t change based on calibration/test.

Our one challenge is order entry.  Since we are using Repair Shop Orders, we can’t use supply code shop order.  It automatically creates a manufacturing shop order.  The only way to set this up is to

1. Set the supply code to Invent Order
  2. Manually Create a shop order, set type to Repair
    1. Add the appropriate operations
  3. Manually peg it back to the customer order
icon

Best answer by AntOlivFr 15 February 2021, 17:07

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hey Jeannine - this is an interesting question of balancing pros and cons!

Introducing a ‘calibrated’ or ‘tested’ part number could resolve this - since for the above process you clearly have to pick and report operations as you would with a MTO part anyway. The sales part can stay exactly the same and just be linked to the new inventory part. 

Where that complicates matters I suppose is if you use the master scheduling functionality (so a bit of a change for planning) or if you use availability checking etc.

We had a similar issue at another customer once - they repacked and bagged a dry ingredient based on a customer order but didn’t see it as manufacture - we decided to run an event to create the orer as you are describing now.

I think you may be best served to run a custom event, if having another mfg level is not an option.

On the plus side it is quite a straightforward event compared to some!

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

@AntOlivFr  - I’m leaning towards the custom event.  Due to how the calibrations work - it’s not practical to create new part numbers for each.  It’s frustrating the users because they see what they need to happen as “simple” but the process is very manual and time consuming.