Solved

Tracking RMA's

• 12 May 2021
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hi Everyone,

I have an end user request for Return Completed RMA Lines to be tracked to the point they have been returned to stock in IFS or scrapped etc. In terms of the RMA process - return completed for us on the line is to show the product has been returned to us. We were looking to see if we can track this to see the point in which the product is returned to stock (if able to do so). 

The closest I have got to is looking at Inventory Transaction History per Part for the part number and date and see what the transaction is that follows the RMA to see if the product has been returned to stock or scrapped etc. This isn’t the best approach as we cannot be sure that another transaction against the part will happen between the RMA and the part transaction we are interested in.

Has anyone else encountered a similar scenario and if so what approach was best to take?

I was thinking of using one of the existing fields when booking the RMA into a location to record the RMA number but wasn’t sure if IFS has something already in place we could explore?

Many Thanks,

Dan 

icon

Best answer by ShawnBerk 12 May 2021, 12:45

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi,

In RMA lines, you can see whether parts are returned or scrapped. 

Isn’t this information adequate for you?

Thanks.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Hi,

In the relevant RMA, in the ‘Return history’ tab, you can find a history record which specifies the location to which each quantity in each line is returned to.

e.g.-->“Line 1, returned 20 item(s) into inventory at location 40-2”

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Malsha

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your replies.

In terms of the RMA process - the history and the quantity fields on the line are showing us when the RMA has been returned - what we need is to be able to track the movement of stock after these have been returned. 

So for example Line 1, returned 20 item(s) into inventory at location 40-2 - this will be an RMA location in our system - we then need to trace the movement of the part after this - so when it has been moved to another location. 

I think on RMA’s this is where the process finishes as the part has been returned but we need to know the corresponding movement(s) or transaction(s) after. In terms of the history on the RMA - I don’t think this will be updated as IFS would believe the process has been completed.

Hopefully I haven’t made my explanation too confusing - thank you once again for you help with this.

Please let me know if I need to explain anything further.

Kind Regards,

Dan

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Hi,

If you need to track the movement of the part after the RMA is completed, you can use the “Inventory part on hand development’ window, which depicts each inventory transaction in detail, including the date, time, type of transaction, order number, quantity of the part involved, quantity remaining after the transaction was executed, and lead time.

You can sort based on the transaction time, so that you wont miss any transactions.

Of course you can use the ‘Inventory transactions history per part’ window as well, which gives you almost the same information, except the quantity remaining after each transaction.

Regards,

Malsha

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your replies.

In terms of the RMA process - the history and the quantity fields on the line are showing us when the RMA has been returned - what we need is to be able to track the movement of stock after these have been returned. 

So for example Line 1, returned 20 item(s) into inventory at location 40-2 - this will be an RMA location in our system - we then need to trace the movement of the part after this - so when it has been moved to another location. 

I think on RMA’s this is where the process finishes as the part has been returned but we need to know the corresponding movement(s) or transaction(s) after. In terms of the history on the RMA - I don’t think this will be updated as IFS would believe the process has been completed.

Hopefully I haven’t made my explanation too confusing - thank you once again for you help with this.

Please let me know if I need to explain anything further.

Kind Regards,

Dan

Hi,

I think your requirement is to track the parts after Return from the RMA (ideally from the RMA no). Is that correct?

If your parts can be Lot/Batch tracked or Serialized, you can do this into some extent. 

So, if the part is Lot/Batch tracked, you can enter the RMA no as the Lot /Batch and Return. 

That way, you can later track the Lot/Batch easily in transaction history. A major drawback of this would be, you won’t be able to receive against the Lot/Batch which (if) you delivered previously. (but if there is a defined Lot/Batch already, you can use that no to track. So not a problem anyways).

If you are using Serials, you should untick below,

Editing based on Shawn’s reply, Yes indeed W/D/R would also be a good option along with above. W/D/R is less hassle. 

Hope this helps.

Thanks 

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

Are you meaning you want to be able to track that explicit part to know that it has been returned once on an RMA and when it ends up on another order and if it gets returned a second time?  Is that the end goal?

If so, then I would investigate the Waiver, Deviation, Rejection number addition for the part.

W/D/R No
The waiver/deviation/rejection number, if assigned to the part. A W/D/R number indicates that specific parts are somehow not standard, i.e., they are discrepant, deviant, rejected, etc. A particular location can contain the same parts, but the parts can have different W/D/R numbers. This number is used for tracking or selection purposes and can be used with the availability control. If needed, this can be changed in the Inventory Part in Stock window or page.

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for all your help and answers - I think the best approach will be to use the W/D/R number. I just have another quick question - if when receiving parts on the RMA is there a way we can force the RMA number into the W/D/R number field? (By default this is *) Or if this is not possible - Is there a way we can inform the user that the RMA number will need to be added to the W/D/R field as an on screen prompt?

Many Thanks,

Dan

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

At the start, there is no out of the box method to force that to update.  On the Receive Parts dialog, there is only one required field - qty to return - if you wanted this to be automatic, you would need a custom event on the update of the Inv Qty to Return field that would then retrieve and copy the RMA No down to the W/D/R Number field.  It should be able to be done as the W/D/R Number is updateable at that point and it is also the action at this point that creates the Inventory Part in Stock record.  It should be possible, but would need a bit of configuration and SQL work to complete it.

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for all your replies.

I’ve implemented the event and looks to be working OK.

Sorry to be a pain - on the approach ShawnBerk has suggested I was wondering if this approach could perform the update before the API call to create a new Inventory Part In Stock record. The client window returns * and wasn’t sure if the approach suggested is to intercept the API call and pass the variable values or whether the client window can update this before the record is created.

Many Thanks Once again for everyone’s help.

Kind Regards,

Dan