Question

Shop Order issuing of liquid raw materials

• 8 November 2021
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi

using IFS Apps 10 and wanted to know if there was a best practice for issuing liquid raw materials to shop orders i.e. paints, glues and greases

We have recently implemented the automated backflush and reserve function on IFS to reduce the requirement of stores to manually issue all material when the shop order was completed and sent to stores which was creating a bottleneck, due to the size of some of the routings material was being issues 2 weeks after actual consumption which also created a stock accuracy problem. 

The auto reserve and backflush method works great but does create an issue with stock discrepancy when we reserve and issue liquid raw material as each operator uses a slightly different amount to each other with is natural for this process (paint spraying)

the system currently reserves the engineered required amount and auto issues the material when the operation is approve from the shop floor work bench but the operator might actual use a little more or a little less than the required quantity (which creates the stock discrepancy over a period of time)

We have tried setting up manual issuing of liquid raw materials from the shop floor work bench but had problems with the shop floor staff issuing material from the incorrect locations (not sure if this can be done with the use of barcoding) so we reverted back to back flushing.

we require the traceability of what liquid raw material we use on each part due to the nature of the product but I am unsure if there is a better way to issue liquid material at the point of consumption? 

appreciate any help or suggestions

regards

Jamie 

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi Jamie,

I came up against the same issue within the food industry. Specifically the consumption of Dairy.

As you’ve tried I used the ‘Manual Issue Shop Order’ screen to execute this, however I added in a custom event. The event would trigger if someone tried to issue dairy from any other location other than the location defined in the event.

If a dairy pallet was hooked up it was always moved to location ‘A’. If this user didn't issue from location ‘A’ then the event would trigger.

For stock accuracy purposes when an empty container was moved from location ‘A’ we had the users perform a count prior to the move using WADACO.

You could also use WADACO for the manual issue by using the ‘MANUAL_ISSUE_SHOP_ORDER_PART’ configuration, however this may be more work as the users would need to input the data into the scanners unless you have paperwork showing barcodes that they could scan?

Thanks,

Jamie

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi @MitJamieB, thanks for the advice!

ill have a go at setting up a custom event as suggested and see how i get on.

regards

Jamie