Solved

Settings for components of a configurable part

• 26 October 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Hi all,

Can you help out how to set-up these configuration settings?

We have Configurable sales part A, manufactured

Sales part A can consist of B1, B2 and/or B3, depending on what is choosen. We never have B1, B2 or B3 on stock.

B1 consist of C1.1, C1.2 and C1.3

B2 consists of D2.1 and D2.1

B3 consist of E1

B1, B2 and B3 will always be manufactured when its needed for a configuration. We don’t have stock of these.

Cx, Dx and Ex will always be on stock. We have a safety stock of these, so we can manufacture them in advance using shop order reqs from MRP.

Let’s say I run the configurator, and a DOP gets created. In that DOP, after release, I want to see the shop order to create Top Part A, shop orders to make B1 and B2, and a reservation for C and D components. Is it enough playing with the netting parameter on the inventory parts? Should I use supply setting DOP for more than the top part?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Björn Hultgren 26 October 2022, 11:42

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Since you B1, B2 and B3 parts should be made to order, they should be set with Default Supply Type = DOP just as part sales part A. You will then have rules applied to Bx parts to control when which parts should be included in the DOP.

When releasing the DOP structure shop orders will be created to manufacture for parts A, B1, B2 and B3.

I would suggest you to reserve C and D components from stock from the created shop order, but it is possible to set them up with Auto Netting as well so they are reserved from stock to the DOP order already when the DOP structure is released. When the shop orders for B1 and B2 are released the reservations will be automatically transferred to the material lines on the shop orders.

Note that you also have the possibility to plan parts C, D and E to using an exploded MRP demand from a master schedule on part A as well. Then the parts will be purchased based on the master production schedule of part A and the usage factors for each component set in the configuration structures of Bx parts. (might be better than just plan them against safety stocks).

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Hi,

Thanks, great answer!

About component C and D: we indeed will have these on stock. However, that’s also a assembly consisting of a multilevel structure. If I’m correct, MRP will not launch a DOP, it will launch the different shop order reqs in order to get to C or D. But these are not pegged to each other, which would be the case in a DOP.

Is there a way to signal the planner that a DOP to create part C or D should be launched as we are under the minimum stock?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

When you have created the DOP structure (even before you release the DOP) you can run MRP, and MRP will identify the demand for C and D and create shop order requisitions to supply the demand. These shop order req’s will not be pegged to the DOP.

If you need MRP to create shop order requisitions to supply C and D even before you have the DOP structure you can of course use safety stock, but you can also master schedule the top part A and run MRP. MRP will then explode through the configuration structure of part A and Bx and create shop order req’s based on the master production schedule (forecast) of part A.  You need to enable below setting for this to work

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

The issue is that MRP doesn’t create pegged orders. Is there a way to let the system propose a DOP? I need component C, which is made from D, which is made from E. If there is a need for C, the system should tell me i need to make E first, than D, and afterwards C, all pegged with each other (which would/could be a DOP)

Is that possible?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

If you want to manufacture also C and D with pegged orders, why don’t you just set them to also be planned by DOP?

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Because I want C on stock.

If a customer order for A comes in, I want to take C from stock. T make A, I need to take C, turn it into B and afterwards turn in into A.

I will always have some C on stock. I want to decrease the lead time for A by having C allready manufactured in stock.

However, C itself is also manufactured. To manufacture C, I also need several shop orders. I start from E, turn it into D, turn it into C, put it on stock. That way, if a customer order for A comes in, I can start from C and don’t need to start from E.