Question

Project managers and expense sheets of their projects

• 3 January 2020
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

The access to expense sheets is controlled by “Position – Access Setup” in IFS. This way, a project manager will be able or not to visualize the expense sheets connected to his/her project depending on the position of the employees.

Customer would like that a project manager could have access to all the expense sheets that belonged to his/her own project. The only way knows to achieve this target is enabling all the project managers the access to all the positions.

But, if define this way, all the project managers could be able to visualize every expense sheet of any employee in any project, even if they had not access to the project.

Customer have tried to define a new “access attribute” adding as a column name a custom field, but it is not included in the value list. Also have tried to define as the “old value” in the “access attribute” a select sentence, but it is considered as an invalid value when try to save it.cannot use an event either because all want is to visualize, not to modify.

Therefore, is there any way to get the target customer described (enable a project manager to visualize all the expense sheets in his/her own project and deny the access to the expense sheets that belong to other project managers’ projects?

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi,

This was part of the original design, but it did not work out that it made it in scope, so unfortunately it wasn’t fully developed.  There is some hope that it will come in the future, but for now, there’s really no way, like you are saying, to limit what expenses they can see just based on the Project (shortname, etc).  

You could use a custom event to block them from approving expenses that the are not the project manager for, as an example, but that wouldn’t keep them from seeing most expenses.  You could restrict to only give them access to the Org Codes that would be reporting expenses, that would limit it some.

One other thing to try is using the “Exclusive Registration” check box on an organization, and have the employee’s report their expenses to that Org Code only.  I am not sure if that would work, but that’s my only other work around thought.  You would need to assign that Org Code to all the employee’s that would be reporting expenses on that project, so it’s not a great workaround, but you could try it.

Good luck!

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hello,

Thank you, Kevin, for your answer, but I’m afraid our problem remains .

What we need is to limit the access to the expenses based on the project. In the workaround you mention the access depends only on the organization and I don’t see the way to to get our target.

I can explain our case with the following example:

We have:

• Organization A,
    • with employees: A1, A2
  • Organization B,
    • with employees: B1, B2
  • Project P1,
    • project manager: A1
    • team members: B1, B2
    • B1 and B2 report expenses to project P1
  • Project P2,
    • project manager: A2
    • team members: B1, B2
    • B1 and B2 report expenses to project P2

We need that project manager A1 can be able to see expenses reported by B1 and B2 on project P1, but not those reported on project P2.

If we assign org code A to employees B1 and B2, then project manager A1 will see all the expenses reported by B1 and B2, both in projects P1 and P2, and we want to avoid it.

Best regards,

Amaia

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hi,

We have implemented a RMB>custom menu “Expense Sheet Details” from the Project Transactions screen that show the details of the expense sheet (an IFS Quick Report).

Best regards

Miguel