Solved

Product Structure Byproduct Serialization

• 1 February 2021
  • 15 replies

Badge +3

Trying to create a repair Product Structure where the byproduct is a serialized part.  Receiving an Error Message that Serialized Byproducts are not supported.  Is there a way to correct this?

icon

Best answer by Björn Hultgren 1 February 2021, 19:01

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

unfortunately by-products are not allowed to be serialized. in IFS I don’t think there’s anyway to get around it without modification.

Badge +3

Bjorn,

Thank you for the quick response.  Will have to do inventory adjustments to work around this.  

Thanks,

Chad

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I notice you try to add the by-product to a repair structure. Guess you want to use a repair shop order to receive replaced components to stock? 

If you have produced the product to repair in IFS, and it is multilevel tracked with serial or lot/batch no so an As-Built record exists for it, you may consider using a multilevel repair shop order. Components to replace will then be added to the shop order as Salvage Parts which can be received to stock. Serial salvage parts are allowed. 

Badge +3

Bjorn

Yes we did produce this and it is Serialized tracked.  1 component that went into the build is also  serialized at receipt and was built into the top line part.  The top line part has been returned and I need to change out the serialized component.   Do I need a repair Product Structure to create the multilevel Repair shop order?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Yes you need to have the repair product structure. But it can be set to Buildable without any components. 

Then select Multilevel Repair before saving the new shop order, or change the site to default this to selected. Lot size must be 1.

Omyou must manaully reserve or issue the correct serial or repair. When this is done you can start replacing components from the dedicated tab on the shop order window. 

Badge +3

Bjorn,

thanks for the instructions. 

I have created the repair structure and updated it to Buildable with no components. 

Updated the part to Multi Level Tracking.

Created the repair shop order and checked the Multilevel Repair check box.  

Saved the shop order and released it.

Manually reserved the part.

I can not find where I am to add the replacement component and Salvage Part.  The tabs are grayed out as not an option.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The multilevel tracking flag must have been selected when the part was originally manufactured. I.e. if you search for the serial number in the As-Built window you should be able to find a record describing how the product was build.

Then when reserving that serial no, the as-built structure should be visible in the Multilevel Repair Structure tab.

Badge +3

Is this the correct place to be in to find the As-Built window? 

The Shop Order As-Built Structure is not an option to review.  Since the Multi Level tracking was not checked on the master part record when this part was manufactured. The repair process that I am trying to do will not work.  Is that correct?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

No I mean the window called As-Built Structure. When you have manufactured a multilevel tracked serialized part on a shop order, a record will be created here. This is the structure used in the multilevel repair shop order that allows you to pin point what component that should be removed and returned to inventory as a salvage part. 

Badge +3

The serial number comes up with no data found:

Is this because the part was originally manufactured with the multi level tracking not checked?   

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Exactly! you can try in your test system to manufacture this part again with multilevel tracking on. Then you should get an as-built structure that can be used for multilevel repair

Badge +3

Bjorn 

Thanks for the help.  Will test this out in our test environment.

Badge +3

Bjorn,

I have anther question with the multilevel repair shop order.  The part that I am working on was 1 of a QTY 12.  1 has been returned and I have built the repair shop order.  When going to the Multilevel Repair Structure I see that 1 of the components was issued from 2 different lot/batches.  The structure has calculated both lot batches as a percentage of a quantity to be removed.  I need it to allow me to select 1 of the lot batches for QTY of 1 to be removed.  Did I set something up wrong?  

Thanks,

Chad

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

This is a tricky one. Since the original parent batch was of 12 and you consumes from two component lots, system doesn’t really know what of the component batches that went into each unit of the parent. Sow if you have a repair SO of just 1, system will only allow to remove proportionally quantity of each component lot. If system would allow you to remove 1 from the component lot, that actually mean that the rest of the 11 from this batch in the as-built record should be updated as well, else the total quantity of the component lot would be higher then original.

Would be possible to have the parent part serial tracked? (its sounds like a switch box could be serial tracked). Then when manufacturing the switch box you must define in the shop order tracked structure what component lot that went into each parent serial. 

Badge +3

Bjorn,

thank you for the explanation.  I would have thought that in the Component Replace Details I would have been able to tell IFS which LotBatch is being returned so I don’t have fractions of a part put into inventory.  Could this be an update to IFS in a future update release?