Solved

Possibility to "freeze" the std cost for sub-assembly when calculating a new parent part.

• 24 January 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hi @majose and others!

We have been trying to figure out a way to "freeze" a std cost for sub-assembly when calculating a new parent part, but haven’t been successful. I have also searched the community for similar questions without result.

It would be very valuable for us to find out if there is a way to achieve this, or if not, if it is in the IFS future roadmap to look into the possibility. Since IFS Idea Wall vanished I haven’t seen a new place to register ideas for future enhancements, but perhaps one exists?

Scenario is as follows:

Part A: Sub-Assembly with material & operation cost, Std cost is calculated and defined for the period (year) 31 Dec. 

In February, the routing is changed but std cost is not updated as that shall be valid for the whole year.

In Mars, a new Part B is released and contains part A

Part B has material & operation cost.

Part B shall be calculated and a std cost shall be set for Part B BUT the std cost for Part A shall not be changed when the calculation is done on Part B.

Can this be supported in IFS ?  If the calculation is done in cost set 2 we have the possibility to at least freeze the material cost by unticking the Copy Estimated Material Cost from Inventory Part in the Cost Calculation dialogue so the system will use the estimated cost saved in the costing table from last calculation instead of the value in Inventory Part. If Planned purchase prize is used, then the purchase price can be “locked” into different Valid To- and From dates. But I haven’t found a way to stop the recalculation of machine and labor cost of the subassembly. We want the frozen cost of the subassembly to be rolled up, but not any newly calculated cost. Hope it is clear what we want to achieve.

Best Regards 

Eva

icon

Best answer by majose 26 January 2022, 10:34

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hi Eva,

When it comes to Idea Wall it has been replaced by Ideas which I think you should be able to access, since you are an IFS partner. But I don’t know… Anyway the “Ideas” are part of ifs community framework. I can see it and access as a tab in https://community.ifs.com/

Anyway, back to your problem. There is no good solution to your problem in IFS. The only thing that came to my mind is with military discipline calculate cost using ONE LEVEL Part Cost Calculation job, but I not sure that that will work fully (and especially not practically)

We have also the somewhat secret functionality Stop Roll Flag which you find in Part Cost / Part Cost Details, but when you start using that, it stops rolling up cost completely from that sub-assembly (A in your case, giving no contribution at all to B. And parts below A are in fact also recalculated.

I think if we expand the Stop Cost Rollup functionality so we can have an option to ‘stop and reuse’ we would be home safe with your requirements. And I have heard similar requirements before, so please create an Idea :-)

Cheers,

Mats

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Thanks a lot for your reply Mats! I have found the Idea section in my version of IFS Community as well, clearly I wasn’t paying attention. I will post an idea there. :) Thanks again!

Userlevel 6
Badge +20

@ADDEVOL , could you post a link here to the Idea?

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Possibility to "freeze" the std cost for sub-assembly when calculating a new parent part. | IFS Community

@matt.watters Hope this works!

Userlevel 6
Badge +20

@ADDEVOL When you Copy Costs to Cost Set One, you have the option to Include or Not Include Components. So after calculating an all-levels cost for B in Cost Set X, when copying from X to 1 if you do not select ‘Include Components’ won’t this keep A from establishing a new cost in Cost Set 1?