Question

MS Level 1 Part- Forecast Consumption

• 3 November 2020
  • 2 replies

Badge +2

Hi,

On MS Level 1 part, we have recently amended our Forecast Consumption rules to roll out from drop, with a forecast window of 7.

The first two lines dated 28/10/2020 and 29/10/2020 are actual orders that have been picked, but not yet shipped off our system. 

We then show a quantity of 1on the 03/11/2020 in the Forecast 1 column and the consumed forecast column. This forecast was not showing on schedule, so I assume IFS has added the forecast into the Forecast 1 column? Is there a reason for this? Also, it is showing as consumed and I am unsure why when the actual demand’s are in multiples of 4?

We then show a quantity of 3 in the Forecast 0 column. However, this was a 4 on schedule. Is there a reason why this will have pulled through to MS Level 1 as 3? This is also showing in the consumed forecast column, again unsure why when the actual demand’s are in multiples of 4?

Thanks.

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hi,

First, let me just explain very shortly to other readers what Rolling out of Unconsumed Forecast means. You have three options when rolling out unconsumed forecast:

Max Unconsumed Forecast: < I don’t explain that now since this is not your use case>

Roll By Percentage:< I don’t explain that now since this is not your use case>

Roll Window <your use case>: Defines number of calendar days that single unconsumed is allowed to roll out. Example: Roll window is set to 20. The sum of rolled out unconsumed forecast consists of two different records one that was rolled for the first time 15 days ago and a second record that was rolled for the first time 20 days ago. When master schedule is calculated on day 21, then the record that became 21 days old should be dropped. Think about an ice-cream manufacturer… weather forecast has indicated a very sunny period, but… it is still raining, but we really think that the sun will shine on us sooooon, we trust the forecast.

When doing this inside the Master Scheduling level 1 calculation, IFS maintains a table under the hood that keeps track of the original forecast, within this logic it has been decided that the unconsumed forecast is rolled out to the date just outside DTF and that we are using the Level 1 Forecast column. No specific reason for it, but it is just like that - period. For the end user this is tricky to follow up, basically you need to make a screen shot of how it looked before the calculation. A future enhancement here, would be to display what is in the “unconsumed working table” that I just mention.

You have touched a quite complex area of IFS Master Scheduling. I can provide you with more details, but I think I stop here for now.

-Mats

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

@majose   Thanks for your explanations on the roll window.    We are doing a forecast for each month.   Thus you will see a forecast on Jan 1 Feb 1  Mar1 and so on.    we want to roll the unconsumed forecast out each day thru the month but we want the forecast to drop at the end of the month.  But when we want to set the number of days we run in to an issue since the months have different day counts 28 vs 30 vs 31    Is there a way to make this work in dropping the unconsumed forecast when the next forecast comes into effect? .   How do people typically do this?   or do they more often tend to have weekly forecasts for the products and roll for 7 days?