Solved

MS Level 1 Part- Forecast Consumption

• 1 February 2024
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hi ,

I am working in Apps 9 and I have a question regarding forecast consumption. 

There are no actual demand for this MSL1 part on 6th, 7th and 8th month. So how come the Forecast is consumed ? 

Checked in Inventory Part Availability Planning as well. No records for the 3 months, similar to what you see below in ‘Supply and Demand’

The forecast Consumption window is 1

Appreciate if someone can provide an insight

Kind Regards

Yashodha

icon

Best answer by majose 2 February 2024, 10:37

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hi,

In Apps9 and earlier the (Backward) Forecast Consumption Window only works as a triggering point for MS Action Proposals. So system continues to consume forecast prior Forecast Consumption Window. When this boundary is crossed system writes an MS Action Proposal Message: Forecast consumed outside Forecast Consumption Window

In Apps10 and IFS Cloud this is much stricter, when boundary is crossed, then it does not continue backward. Instead, if Forward Forecast Consumption Window > 0, then it consumes forward until it reaches the forward consumption window boundary.

Hope this information helps.

-Mats

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hi @majose 

Thank you for so much for the prompt response!  yes as you said I can see several MS Action Proposal Messages: Forecast consumed outside Forecast Consumption Window

Question - When looking at Register Forecast on 01/05/2024 the unconsumed forecast is 3 as well as the cumulative unconsumed forecast is also 3. 

Therefore it makes sense for this qty of 3 to be consumed on 01/06/2024. But why is my cumulative unconsumed forecast is still 3  for that record ? shouldn’t it be 0 if the previous forecast is consumed ?

The same question for the record lines 01/07/2024 and 01/08/2024.

However the safety stock for this part is 3 . perhaps it has an impact?

Kind Regards

Yashodha

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hi,

Safety Stock has no impact on forecast consumption qty columns.

The Cumulative Unconsumed Forecast is carried forward in time. So 3 is correct that day and following dates.

Let us just assume that the forecast the 1st of July was not fully consumed. Let say 2 was consumed of 3, then the Cumulative Unconsumed Forecast that day would be 4. Then on the following dates, the CUMULATIVE Unconsumed Forecast will be 4.

Cheers,

Mats

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hi @majose 

Hope you are keeping well

I have few more questions related to the same query. In apps 9 ;

1. With the following forecast parameters, is it possible for forward consumption? I did some tests and although forward forecast consumption says 0 I still see my future forecast getting consumed

2. Do the dates (eg - customer order wanted delivery date/due date) have an impact on forecast consumption? I did run several tests but can’t come up with a consistent output

Appreciate if you can shed some light. 

Kind Regards

Yashodha

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hi Yashodha, I am doing fine thanks :-) But I would feel even greater if customers upgrades to later versions ;-)

Okay good old Apps9 behavior at my end when testing.

Same setup up as you, 1-day backward consumption window, which in Apps9 mean, go backwards infinite number of days, but only if there are records with unconsumed forecast. When 1-day backward consumption passes, then write a level 1 message.

There is a remaining forecast of 1, but since forward consumption is 0 then it will not find future forecast to consume. It writes “Insufficient unconsumed Forecast to satisfy Actual Demand”

Okay…

Next step

Moved the Customer Order Line demand to 25th. And rerun the MS Level 1 calculation.

The actual demand has NOT been consumed in forward direction as expected. And there was no forecast earlier or equal to 25th.

Hope this helps

-Mats

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hi @majose 

Thank you very much for your explanation, it helped a lot !

Question, as you have mentioned “which in Apps9 mean, go backwards infinite number of days, but only if there are records with unconsumed forecast”

Now this is not fair when a forecast 5 years back is being consumed by an Actual Demand today ?

Is there a workaround for this? 

Kind Regards

Yashodha

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hi @MuzYashoN 

Sorry for late reply…

I can’t see any workaround really in Apps9 and earlier releases.

-Mats