Question

MS Level 0 Part

• 31 May 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hello, 

I am finding that we are not using MS Level 0 parts in our system. We are using MS Level 1 parts as top level parts instead of components. Is there anyone else out there that does this in IFS? It’s my understanding that Level 0 is supposed to be Top Level while Level 1 is components. What are the problems that could arise from using IFS this way? 

Thanks!

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Level 0 is a active family part used only for planning purposes. That is not a physical product. The top level of the real physical product is normally level 1. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @craryit,

Firstly, no problem arises with the current way you are using MS. MS level 1 parts are the parts which can actually be manufactured or purchased. MS level 0 parts are non tangible parts and are used if your forecasts are based on the product family level and not at the actual product (SKU) level. 

Consider a simple example , if you have forecast for just a Cars then MS level 0 will be your Car and MS level 1 will be Diesel Car & Petrol car. 

You can define a planning structure to determine how the forecast need to disaggregated from MS level 0 to MS level 1 

Hope this helps!!

Regards,

Mithun K V

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Level 0 is a active family part used I ly for planning purposes. That is not a physical product. The top level of the real physical product is normally level 1. 

So we don’t need to be using Level 0 parts? When you say Level 1 is the top level, that means the whole product, not the components? I have seen many resources that say Level 1 is just components. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Yes. You don't need to use level 0. It's Completely optional, but useful if you want to forecast on this fictive family level and have a planning structure to disaggregate it to the top level of the real part structure which is level 1.

The master production schedule created on level 1 is then exploded by MRP to lower level components in the BOM. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi @craryit,

Firstly, no problem arises with the current way you are using MS. MS level 1 parts are the parts which can actually be manufactured or purchased. MS level 0 parts are non tangible parts and are used if your forecasts are based on the product family level and not at the actual product (SKU) level. 

Consider a simple example , if you have forecast for just a Cars then MS level 0 will be your Car and MS level 1 will be Diesel Car & Petrol car. 

You can define a planning structure to determine how the forecast need to disaggregated from MS level 0 to MS level 1 

Hope this helps!!

Regards,

Mithun K V

That makes  sense. I am getting so many different answers when researching this. I am guessing it’s other ERP’s that use Level 0 and Level 1 differently.

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Yes. You don't need to use level 0. It's Completely optional, but useful if you want to forecast on this fictive family level and have a planning structure to disaggregate it to the top level of the real part structure which is level 1.

The master production schedule created on level 1 is then exploded by MRP to lower level components in the BOM. 

Okay so The level 0 would be the whole product put together, and tells us whats inside the bom? Then the MRP knows which LEVEL 1 component parts are a part of it? So to use BOM’s in IFS, we have to use Level 0 at least? Right now we are trying to figure out how to work with planning for components of a product. It seems like just using Level 1 does not do that? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

No. Level 0 is never a physical part. It is a fictive part on a level above the top level of the real physical part. Hopefully this can be clarified by reading the master scheduling documentation.