Solved

MRP with Schedule Smoothing/Leveling/Heijunka

• 31 January 2020
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Is there any way in IFS 10 to make MRP result as Production Smoothing (Heijunka) ? The purpose is smoothing of production quantities or supplier schedule per material within a leveling period.

I see this feature is available at SAP.

https://help.sap.com/viewer/d9bb3b5ddc0945d491068fad15060d5c/2019.1/en-US/a82b32e5d4ba494ab00d708911cce130.html

thanks

icon

Best answer by Björn Hultgren 31 January 2020, 14:34

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

You can define and Order Gap Time for the part, but guess that is not really what you’re looking for?

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

I think we currently have no functionality for that scenario. Capacity is just taken into account as hours to be done in a WC, not a daily rate as in your example. CBS/APB are rescheduling also hours and not quantities as load.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@bhaktiutama I think you should also consider using the Production Line Management functionality that disconnects the supply generation from MRP, but still using MRP as the source of demands. 

Prior to apps 10 this was only adopted for manufacturing using production schedules, but in apps 10 it can also be used for manufacturing with shop orders.

You need to connect parts to a production line and set the parts Proposal Release to Do Not Release. I.e. MRP will not generate any requisitions.

In Production Line Management window you will then retrieve the demand for the parts producted on the line from e.g. MRP

You must also calculate the daily operating minutes

Next you can calculate the required Takt Time to meet the demand

Then you can set a Line Rate 

Then use Generate Proposed Schedule . Here you can select to generate a finite schedule taking the line rate into consideration. 

This proposed schedule can be analyzed against the demands to ensure all demands will be met, else you can manually change the schedule to ensure the demands are met.

When the schedule look good you can convert it into shop order requisitions and when inside the firm horizon you can convert it into shop orders

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

​Hi @Björn Hultgren … thank you for the detail explanation. I will consider it (actually web never do Production Line Management in IFS 7.2, we are still in progress to upgrade to IFS 10).

Is there any solution for the supplier schedule? MRP IFS will create PR/PO for Suppliers to supply the material. Is there any way to make it’s schedule heijunka too. (You know smoothing schedule will make Supplier more stable in their production/manufacture).

Thank you

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@bhaktiutama I’m not aware of any such function for supplier schedules, but if you level your production, demand for in going components will of course be more smooth as well.

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

@Björn Hultgren one more question. If I level the production line, should I run the MRP again to make the demand-supply of the material/component to be more smooth as well?

Thank You.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@bhaktiutama Unfortunately I realized that the shop order requisition created using the rate in Production Line Management will not affect the scheduling of the components. Only after you convert the shop order requisitions to shop orders these dates will be used by MRP to planned the components. Feels like there’s a bit of a gap in the solution there. Maybe the supplier schedule functionality in IFS has some leveling/smoothing functionality, I’m not much familiar with it unfortunately

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

I know it is too late to write a reply this this.

In addition to the Solution we are given in Production Line Management, we also have this distribute option in MS Level 1 part.

1. Go to MS Level 1 part & filter for the main MS part that needs to distribute a cumulative forecast evenly. 
  2. Go to Register Forecast tab, RMB on header & select Distribute Cumulative forecast.
  3. In below dialog enter total qty that needs to distribute, Time period and condition (daily, weekly or monthly) and click OK.
  4. This will result the evenly distributed forecasts for the main part and then User can follow up with the demands using MRP.

Since you asked in later part of this conversation, Yes in Supplier schedules we have the option to Distribute the deliveries evenly. You can try out this as well.