Question

How to fix this error - Engineering Part Revision already exists

Userlevel 7
Badge +16
  • Hero (Customer)
  • 545 replies

Community,

We come across this error message for certain parts. for example part 1069908, current engineering Rev 2, Inventory Revision is 2. 

when I am trying to create a new Eng Revision, Rev 3, I got below error. How to fix this without skipping Eng Rev. 3?

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Hi @ronhu 

why do you want to create the same part revision?

If it already exists you can’t create the same one.

Check that on the screen Inventory Part → tab Revisions.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@Link Thank you for your reply.

currently the Eng Rev=2, Inventory Rev = 2, I am trying to create a new Eng Rev =3, and I get above error message.

below is the screenshot for inventory part → tab Revisions. Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

OK, I am not sure. But maybe you need to set a phase out date for the old part revision before you can create a new one.

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi @ronhu,

We are talking about the Eng Part Rev first and not the Inv Part Rev. Therefore, please check whether there is already a Rev 3 for this Eng Part 1069908. If so, this cannot be created a second time, but a Rev 4 must be created from the Rev 2. The Inv Part Rev only comes into play when the Eng Part Rev is transferred to a location via the Transfer job. Therefore, these Rev numbers can also differ and do not necessarily have to be identical. The reference can be seen in the Inv Part Rev in the column "Eng Rev".

Best regards,
Mike

Badge +4

How are you determining what the next Engineering Part Revision should be ?

Are you using the Global search for revisions ? Or searching by a specific field ? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@Shaun Next Engineering Part Revision can be anything, as long as it is valid and not duplicate in Eng Rev No, I think.

@mike.brukner There is no Eng Rev 3 for this part. I did some tests, i realized the problem is due to the column Revision Number Maximum, this number controls the Eng Rev counts it is currently for the part. It could be a bug, this value currently for this part is 1. I can simply obsolete one of the engineering part revision and delete it, then this problem can be resolved. but deletion is not easy, since this revision is used in product structure, unless you remove it all from all the structure where it resides. 

I think I have to talk to IFS to DB repair this column value to 2. 

Thank you.

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi @Shaun,

Where do you have this Revision Number Maximum column? Can you take a screenshot and post it here?

Thanks,
Mike

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi @Shaun,

You mean this column here, right:

As can be seen from the field help...

Revision Number Maximum
The highest number used when generating a new revision, i.e., the total number of revisions created for this part. This value is an internal counter used to keep track of all revisions for a part. When a new revision is created, the counter is incremented by 1. Removal of a revision does not affect this counter. This value is used to correctly order part revisions in forms and reports. If the last created revision is deleted, the value in the Last Revision No field is updated to show the number of the latest existing revision, while the value in this field remains unchanged.

...this column shows which internal revision number is the highest. Here as an example to the above marked line with the value "5" this comes from the (internal) revision No 5 to the Eng Rev "R03":

Check if the value in the "Engineering Part" mask matches the maximum value of the "Revision No" in the "Engineering Part Revision" mask.

Mike

Badge +4

We have a ticket open with IFS as our Max Revision numbers are ‘resetting’ below the required level on rare occasions. This is triggering a similar message ‘The Engineering Part Revision already exists’. 

There are now traces in place to try to determine when this is happening and who / what is triggering it.

We have had a number of DB repair patches to remedy this issue.

My question was prompted by some of our users using the global search to determine what the next revision number should be, and this index was not being updated as often as required. I wanted to eliminate the potentially simple element. :-) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@mike.brukner Thank you for your input.

@Shaun I figured out why this is happening, but our case might be different as what you are. We are using migration job to uploading Windchill new revisions. the migration might not be configured properly, so the column Revision Number Maximum is not update accordingly. What is your case then, have you figure out why this is happening? 

Thank you.

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

@ronhu I think the problem with your migration job comes from the fact that you also fill the field of the (internal) Revision No with your revision value. However, this should be filled by IFS itself. Your revision value may only be transferred in the Eng Rev field. Can you check this?

Badge +4

I believe that our issue may be triggered by a similar process used to load parts in bulk.

@mike.brukner I understand the reasoning for this but how would it explain the max revision number seemingly reverting to a lower value than when an attempt was made to add another engineering part revision ? I would expect the update to fail without updating a value ? As stated previously we have traces in place to see whether that is actually happening though :-)