Solved

Crediting a Project Invoice - Error

• 28 January 2021
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Hi,

Trying to credit Project Invoices - which are not the last generated and getting the below error message. 

Does anyone know about this or experienced it before?

We are on application 20 and crediting application 16.

Thansk,

Matt

icon

Best answer by Vibhusitha Jananjaya 14 May 2021, 10:56

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Hi,

On the sales contract you have an Application For Payment in a status that is not closed.

You need to go the view for “Application for Payments” of the sales contract, find the open one and bring it to an “Invoiced” or “Closed” status.

Then it should allow you to do it.

(Sales contract works accumulated when you generate a new AFP, so you have to sequentially handle the AFP's)

BR/Marten

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Hi,

Thanks for coming back.

So we can not credit 16 straight away - we would have to credit 20, 19, 18, 17, 16?

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

-» first note: Not straight away, the 17..20 should be going to a status that is Certified or further.

Sorry, this is that the Certified ones need to be Invoiced in order to be able to credit the number 16.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

ok - well just to confirm. The below is what i have an status. 

I need to credit 14,15,18,19. Do I also need to fully credit 20 and 16 - but leave 17 as that is cancelled.

I do not have an option, i think, to change status beyond Certified.

Thanks for this help - I am good in most areas but I have had the least exposure to Projects and Invoicing, let alone crediting.

We are on Apps 9.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

I need to make a correction to my comment before, sorry.

The certified ones need to be invoiced before you can credit 16.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Hi, yes all of the Certified Application for Payments have been invoiced. Sorry for earlier confusion but, “I need to credit 14,15,18,19. Do I also need to fully credit 20 and 16 - but leave 17 as that is cancelled.”

This is probably best show in screen shot above.

As always thanks for help.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Just to say I managed to get it working by crediting as above - but our Projects team can not accept that. I have created a case with IFS . Even if they say the same thing as I have they will then believe it.

The problem of trying to bring people inside system processes who have been running their own for years.

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Good conversation thread.  We are having an issue creating a project invoice credit.  Here’s the steps we’ve done:

1. Went to Project Invoice of the invoice we want to credit.
  2. RMB “Credit Entire Invoice”
  3. Went to Customer Invoices with Errors because the credit invoice errored.
  4. RMB “Process Invoice”
  5. This still didn’t work.
  6. Went to Customer Invoice Postings Analysis and saw the AFP Error checkbox was checked.
  7. Went to Application for Payment, Invoice tab, and there is no error message there.
  8. On the Project Invoice screen, Accounting tab, there is only one line.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I’ve searched Help in IFS but cannot find a process on how to credit a project invoice.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi Mattew,

I just saw this in Community. Thought of sharing the answer here as well. Let me explain about the IFS functionality on this.

1. Lets assume we have a contract with multiple application for payments in “Fully Paid” state like below.

2. And you are trying to credit Invoice PJ 20010004 which is the Project invoice related to AFP3

• In a situation like this, you will end up in an error message like below and this is not a fault/bug in IFS application. This is the standard behavior.

As mentioned in the error message, you are not allowed to credit an invoice when you have later AFPs in Certified, Submitted, Partially Paid or Fully Paid. (in our example we have AFP 4 & 5 which are in Fully Paid state.

The correct approach would be to credit invoices in AFP 5, then AFP 4 and then AFP 3. Then re-invoice for AFP 4 & 5. (If there are ‘Cancelled’ AFPs you can skip them)

Unfortunately you will have to adopt to this procedure (though it involves additional work to the user), as this is the recommended approach by IFS.

However, as you suggested you can use the workaround of creating a new AFP (which would be AFP7) with a negative value equal to AFP3 and then create a new invoice for that.

Technically there is no problem at all in this procedure and you can achieve your expected result of creating negative invoice to the customer. If you carefully enter the values and do this, you will not end up in any issue in the future regarding the contract value.

But there could be issues like rounding errors (which are mostly corrected in the application), which can cause unwanted issues to you in the future when closing out the contracts.

So our recommendation is to use the correct procedure. But there is no harm with in using the workaround as long as you carefully enter the values.

I hope this explanation will clear your doubts regarding the functionality.

Please let me know your thoughts on this.

kind regards,

Vibhu

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi @Matthew  - Were you able to go through the information provided?

Just let us know if that was helpful to you  by marking it as the best answer.

If you have more questions please do ask.

/Vibhu