Question

configuration structure

• 13 January 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi Community ..We are using IFS 9.

What is the difference between product structure and configuration strcuture.

why configuration structure is been used.

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Hi

Configuration structure is primarily used in configure to order process. in IFS , if you define a part as configurable ( at part level check box),  and when you lets say try to manufacture using shop order, the shop order will copy components and operations to the shop order from “configuration structure”  based on the configuration that you define at the shop order level.  In order to select the relevant component parts and operations for the shop order, you define certain rules in the configuration structure and routing where the rules are connected to configuration characteristic option values that you set when you define the configuration. 

For example., you are manufacturing chairs with lather seat and fabric seat. Lets say for simplicity, all the other component are same. Unlike Product structure, the configuration structure will have, plastic seat , and leather seat as components.  At execution level when you set the configuration for plastic chair, the shop order will  have the relevant material lines to manufacture plastic chair ( and operations.)

The product structure on the other had is different from this behaviour as the shop order for “non configured “ part will get  all the material and and operations from the revision and alternate.

Please refer to the IFS documentation about Configuration and Product structures to get more info.

Hope this helps

Saman

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi Saman

Thanks for the reply. Appreciate it. 

We are performing one engineering transfer action. After the transfer, I found it is not coming in the product structure screen while when I have searched it is present in Configuration Structure screen.

As per your above comments, I have checked the part in Master Part in the I have found it is checked as configurable in Part configuration revision tab.

Is it due to this?

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Hello @Deepak ,

If we are talking about non cofigurable part, the product structure doesen’t change for any situtations.

But If the part is configurable, structure changes for your limitations.

Which means PART_NO = M001 and  Configuration ID = 101 can be a 3 wheel red bcycle.

But another situtaion can be like this : PART_NO = M001 and Configuration ID = 202 can be 2 wheel green bcycle.

1- If the part is configurable, you can find the structure tree in the navigator like this;

Components parts are added for all possiblities for the configurable part.

2-  You have to create configuration structure rules for every component part to add right components for your configured part.

Kind Regards

Özgün BAL

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

@Deepak for the issue that EBOM not transfer, did you Confirm from “Engineering Structure Transfer Graphic” window?