Question

Configurable Part - Rental

• 11 January 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Hi All,

Our customer would like to use a Rental process for certain machines. But his machines are ‘Configurable Sales Parts’. I tried to set-up a Confirable Sales part with Sales type ‘Sales and Rental’ but this seems to be blocked by IFS.

This seems rather strange that we can’t have a rental for configurable machines. What is the solution to this issue?

Best Regards

Roel

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi Roel

Whilst it seems like a function that would be useful I can see the logic behind it not being an option to rent configured items. The question I have is around the configuration type. 

If there are a few changes made to the machine specific to the customer in this configuration, you might want to look at mobilisation work orders, which I have found work well with rental.

The other option is you convert the configuration to a part number and run a simple shop order to convert if it you are changing the object to a rental asset. This could be configured if it is determined to be too many clicks for the customer?

Let me know / Oliver

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Hi @AntOlivFr ,

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate the time you took to formulate your advice. I did look at Mobilization work orders, but they are most usefull to use to prepare a new rental of a machine that already exists. But where you can specify what steps need to be taken to make it ready for a new rent (clean, double check functionality and components etc...).

In my situation, the machine that will be rented out still needs to be build from scratch. The end-customer wants to have a machine that can do X, our customer analyzes the situation and decides he is 95% sure he can meet the demand using a standard machine with certain engineering modifications. So he agrees to build the machine and rent it out for 3 months to that customer to analyze performance. So that means I have to create a Rental Order for a configurable machine so correct assignments are given to production through a shop order. ANd it seems that combination is not possible, or am I mistaken?

Do you see any alternatives?

Best Regards

Roel