Skip to main content

Removing batched stock that is not issued to an aircraft

• 17 May 2024
  • 5 replies

As everyone knows, doing anything ADHOC in Maintenix creates multiple “behind the scenes” issues that cause massive data base clean up to have to take place.  

However, the question arises: how do you remove batched inventory from the system when it is not used on an actual aircraft?  An example of this is when a bowser is serviced, oil and filters are used to maintain the bowser.  These items would not be issued to an aircraft, as they are not used on an aircraft.  This leaves the airline with two choices: a) do an ADHOC issue or b) adjust out the stock.  

As mentioned above, if an ADHOC issue is performed, this can often times create an ADHOC request that never closes.  It is not obviously seen, so you typically find it when a station keeps receiving stock from the main supplier location for an item they already have plenty of stock on. 

If the Stock Adjustment is the preferred method, for ATI, we only have just a certain few individuals that have the ability to adjust out stock, as we have processes in place before stock can be adjusted out due to the financial impact of it.  

It would be nice to have something in place on the front end that the stations could use in these type of events.  

I would be interested to know how other airlines have dealt with this.  

5 replies

Badge +3

Let me add this as well…

There are certain tools that are used that are one use only tools.  These would not be considered parts because they do not get installed on the aircraft.  IFS suggests that we take these items out of the Tool category and make them batched consumables.  This would not be impossible for us to do, but it means we have to change processes to accommodate these items.  Once again, we would, as of right now, either have to use the ADHOC issue or the stock adjustment options.  It would be nice to have an option to deal with this more on the front end.  Thoughts?

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Hi Dee,

I think you can use component shop maintenance to achieve what you want.

It’s possible to model the bowser in the system as a part without a relationship to an aircraft. A bowser can be inducted into the system as an SER component that exists in COMHW, or a new Assembly used for support systems. You can create on-condition part-number based task definitions for the bowser service. This task definition should include part requirements, and part requests for your consumed oil and filters.

When service the bowser, an appropriate elected user would initialize the task, set the correct inventory in the installed part requirement, and use the package and complete button.

At this point the inventory will be ready to be issued from the part request. If you lose track of it, it can be searched in the list of Awaiting Issue part requests on the Part Request Search.

Badge +3

Robert,

Thank you so much for your insight.  Quick question, are you saying that the best way to deal with this, would be to create an off wing task against, for example, the bowser which we could then use to pull the items out of stock by complying with the task?  I just want to make sure I am understanding correctly what you are saying.  

Thanks again. 

Dee

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Hi Dee,

Yes that is essentially what I'm saying. I’m not sure it’s the best way, but it’s a way that I tested and it seems reasonable. The items are only pulled out of stock after issuing the part requests, completing the task itself doesn’t do it automatically even if you have Auto Issue enabled. That is because the part requests are not yet associated with an inventory.

It’s possible to have the components issued automatically if you create, schedule, and commit a work package. Followed by ensuring you have the component reserved on the part request. Since this is supposed to be a small action, it’s less work to issue after the fact.

Badge +3

Thanks Robert,

This helps a bunch!  I will set up an SOP for us to do this going forward.  Thanks,

Dee