Solved

How do Operators track LOTO (lock-out/tag-out) within Maintenix

• 18 October 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +9

Southwest Airlines is curious how other operators manage tracking of locked-out/tagged-out (LOTO) within Maintenix.  Specifically, do you have a method to track which circuit breakers have been locked out during a check, including who locked it out and for what task, or do you handle that externally?

Sincerely,

Shon Creese

icon

Best answer by REGD 24 October 2023, 14:04

View original

4 replies

Badge

Experience with a couple of operators is simply raising faults much as things were done in a pre-Maintenix world. One option is to use Found Faults during the course of a task (or other fault) and tie the LOTO fault to the task in order to know where it originated. Adding LOTO and restoration steps to task definitions is possible, but faults tend to reduce exposure to an inadvertent step sign-off.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I am currently looking at using the “Master Panel Card” Functionality to act as LOTO Tracking. This will involve creating Circuit Breakers, Fuses and other Safety Devices as Panels against the assembly. These will then require Open and Close Task Definitions not unlike a Panel for an MPC.

For example Circuit Breaker 1234 in Zone 6789 is created as a “Panel” against the Assembly. An associated Open and Close Definition is then created as you would for a Panel. 

An MPC is then created to for the LOTO Devices.

Once the LOTO “MPC” is Active, when the LOTO Devices (Panels) are added to the Zones and Panels Tab of the JIC or other Task Definition they will spawn a LOTO MPC Task within a Work Package.

The MPC Functionality will detail which LOTO Devices when Open/Removed are displayed as Open Panels on the Preview Release for a given Work Package.

Please note I am still testing this solution. However, Maintenix sees the LOTO MPC as simply another Panel Card. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I am currently looking at using the “Master Panel Card” Functionality to act as LOTO Tracking. This will involve creating Circuit Breakers, Fuses and other Safety Devices as Panels against the assembly. These will then require Open and Close Task Definitions not unlike a Panel for an MPC.

For example Circuit Breaker 1234 in Zone 6789 is created as a “Panel” against the Assembly. An associated Open and Close Definition is then created as you would for a Panel. 

An MPC is then created to for the LOTO Devices.

Once the LOTO “MPC” is Active, when the LOTO Devices (Panels) are added to the Zones and Panels Tab of the JIC or other Task Definition they will spawn a LOTO MPC Task within a Work Package.

The MPC Functionality will detail which LOTO Devices when Open/Removed are displayed as Open Panels on the Preview Release for a given Work Package.

Please note I am still testing this solution. However, Maintenix sees the LOTO MPC as simply another Panel Card. 

Hi Reg,

It was noted in our internal discussions that the MPC Panel solution was well-suited to the needs of LOTO, but we have not completed any certification of this specific solution. We look forward to hearing more about it.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi Rob.

I’ll send through some further details when I have completed the testing for our platform.

I currently don’t see any issues at the moment as Maintenix thinks that Circuit Breaker 1234 is a Panel.