Solved

Fault Definition use of Failure Category and Failure Type Field?

• 1 February 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Failure Category & Fault Priority Field, are BASELINE defined by Fault Definition and not modifiable on ACTUALS

Fault Type field, is BASELINE & ACTUAL modifiable

Can IFS advise is a Parent / Child relation between Failure Category & Failure type exist ? 

How IFS would recommend tio uses those type of fields with Fault Definition?

And finalys how to set up Fault Priority to have them reflecting a priority according to the Fault Definition?

icon

Best answer by Robert Bellemare 14 April 2023, 22:11

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi Olivier,

I hope this reply finds you well. You have correctly identified that Fault Priority, Failure Category, and Failure Type can be elements defined on a fault definition. Only the last of the three is available for ADHOC faults.

There is no parent-child relationship between Failure Category and Failure Type.

The fields are intended to provide decision support to the planners, so that resolution or mitigation of the faults can be prioritized correctly.

The Fault Priority can be defined on the Fault Definition in the following location. This can be easily confused with the Task Priority.

The fault priority is defined on the fault definition

The fault priority appears on the fault information tab

The task priority can be set when raising an open fault

Task priority appears on the task information tab

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hello @Robert Bellemare 

Could you please explain the reason why FAULT priority if a parameter that cannot be set manually on a fault raised manually?

Do you a MTX setting to allow this?

What would be your recommendation to have this linked to a scheduling NOTIFICATION parameter?

Thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hello @Robert Bellemare 

Could you please explain the reason why FAULT priority if a parameter that cannot be set manually on a fault raised manually?

Do you a MTX setting to allow this?

What would be your recommendation to have this linked to a scheduling NOTIFICATION parameter?

Thanks

Hi Olivier,

To be plain, I cannot explain why it is not editable. This functionality has been in this state for well over a decade, and I can only assume that the fault priority was invented solely for fault definitions and it was not extended into adhoc faults. I am not aware of any setting that will expose this functionality in Maintenix.

There is a good case to be made for this request to be created as an Idea. If you are able to articulate what you would use it for, and what value it will bring to the business that will improve the visibility. Is there a reason the Task Priority could not be used instead to achieve your goals? I can infer that it would be better to isolate your intended solution to its own field, but in the absence of the ability to modify the fault priority, the task priority might also meet your needs.

Can you explain in more detail your last statement so that I can better explore the options? I am unsure specifically if the scheduling notification parameter refers to something that already exists in Maintenix, such as the Plan By Date feature.