Question

Overtime Calculation to Include Vacation

• 1 November 2021
  • 12 replies

Badge +2

Hi,

I am looking for assistance on how to setup a balance definition to change the overtime calculation if an employee takes a vacation day.   For example, employees should recieve overtime after 40 hours during a regular work week, however if an employee decides to take vacation one day during the week then overtime hours should be applied after 32 hours. 

Accounting to the screenshot below, there should be 34 normal hours, 2 overtime hours, 34 presence hours, and 8 absence hours with a total of 42 hours.  

I have two balance definitions setup, one for the absences and one for the daily OT.

Then for the 40 hours of overtime:

This is what I have setup for the Additional Result Calculation Definition.  

Any help is very much appreciated!  

Thanks,

Liz

This topic has been closed for comments

12 replies

Badge +5

Hi, do you have any absence parameters set on the wage codes for the absences?

Badge +2

Hi, yes these are the parameters I have set.

Badge +5

Hi, sorry to ask for more info, but is the OT code an overtime code? Can you show what type of wage code each code is.

thanks,

mike 

Badge +2

Yes the OT Wage code is an Overtime wage code.  Here are the wage codes.

Badge +5

Can you try changing the ot code to an increment or info code.  This should give you the 42 total hours.  I think the 2 hours overtime are created after the balance exceeds 40.  Given that 34 are presence and 8 are normal and absence converted according to day type this gives you the 42.  Then add the additional 2 hours generated by the balance conversion, that gives you the 44.

It might not show the two hours as overtime in the time card week totals.  However the total number of hours paid and transferred to payroll should work.

Apologise if I have the wrong desired outcome.

Weekly overtime is tricky with balances.  Have you tried periodic overtime?
kind regards

mike   

Badge +2

No I have not tried periodic overtime.  Yes, unfortunately it does not display the Overtime hours.

Basically Overtime calculation is calculated based on a 40 hour work week, however, If an employee takes an 8hr vacation day during a work week then the overtime calculation should now calculate overtime for hours worked beyond 32 hours.

Badge +5

As time card shows day by day calculation, it will always add up the values as you have them.  My suggestion to change the wage code type would ensure it shows correct hours worked and gives you the two hours in a wage code that can transfer to payroll that meets the code for the corresponding payroll.

The overtime total field in time card will show hours accumulated under an overtime code and in this case the overtime is granted through a balance conversion so a spill over of the balance showing 2 additional hours.  It doesn’t reduce the normal hours or absence hours converted according to day type.

Time card is calculated day by day.  Periodic overtime will look at the hours worked over the time set e.g. 7 days and using increment codes will create a periodic result for any time worked above the weekly scheduled hours.  However it does not show in time card result.  Only periodic result.  It will transfer under payroll transfer function or you can run a report to export it if required.

kind regards

Mike

Badge +2

When I changed the OT wage code by to Information, the Overtime hours are not displayed.

Badge +5

Will have another think and get back to you.  What is the intended output for payroll?

Badge +2

For Payroll as well as for supervisors to easily view the totals in hours.  So they can accurately see the normal hours, overtime hours, absence hours, and presence hours.

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Why don’t you use the type “Flex” in combination with a flex day rule?

So all the time worked more (or less) than normal time would go to this balance, no matter if the day is filled with working hours or absence hours.

Through a balance reconciliation you could put the positive value weekly or monthly to another balance or directly into a payment wage core.

Badge +2

I am not familiar with using the balance type flex.  How would I set that up?  Essentially, what I need is, if there is a holiday or vacation on a given week then the overtime calculation should now be considered after 32 hours.  If an employee takes a vacation day and there is also a holiday, then the overtime calculation should be considered after 24 hours.  Let me know if that is possible using the flex balance type.

Thanks!

Liz