Solved

How to change valid dates in graphical position structure

• 16 February 2023
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

I had to retroactively had to move someone with drag and drop into their new position under their new manager in the Graphical Position Structure, as this had not been done when they moved positions. However, the valid from date took the date I made the change instead letting me change it to the date they actually moved positions and the day before for the valid to date for the old position. These seem to be non-editable fields, so how can I get round this to put in the correct dates? I am a system admin, so should have full access to the whole system. The dates shown are wrong and need changing to the correct ones.

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Martin Hulsenboom 16 February 2023, 16:25

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Hi Justin,

When you want to change something in the position structure from a specific date (in the past or the future), you have to make sure to first enter the desired earliest validity date in the header of the page Graphical Position Structure. In that case, all changes that you make by using drag and drop will become valid from that date onwards.

BR,

Martin

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Hi, thanks for your reply, the header has a very old start date and one a long way into the future.

And the General tab for the person in question also has the same:

But it will not let me adjust the valid dates in the Position History to the correct ones, it should show her old role ending in 22/08/22 and the new one starting on Aug 23. so her valid dates in this screen do not match what she has in the employee file  (which are correct) - is that by design or a bug?

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Wait a minute - do you want to assign another position to an employee or do you want to change the position structure?

If you want to change the position structure (as I thought when initially answering your question), you first have to change the User Date into the date on which the change has to become effective, prior to using drag & drop.

If you want to assign another position to an employee, then you don’t do that in the Graphical Position Structure, but in the Employee File or with the assistant Single Employee Assignments.

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Hi, so what happened was, the employee changed positions in Aug 2022, and the employee file was correct, but she was still under her previous manager in the graphic postion screen, ( and other position and manager related screens) for some reason this was never updated. So we were told to simply drag and drop her details in the g. pos. screen to the correct manager, which has been done, but now the position history details related the date her entry was moved to the correct manager, and we cannot correct those dates in the position history tab to the correct ones instead of yesterdays date when her position was corrected.

I hope this is clear. So if the employee file was already correct, with right cost centre and manager for the new role, why hadnt any of the other screens updated to reflect this? In another query about this type of thing I posted in this community, I was told we should just move them in the graphic position screen with drag and drop, so I am now confused. 

I do not know what sequence each screen should be updated in  when this kind of thing happens - which is the master screen where this kind of position, manager and cost centre update should be made in first, and shouldn’t the changes then be reflected in all the other screens?

Our problem is that we rely on a feed via an interface from another non IFS system, which is the master system for employment details, and when the process there errors out for any reason, we are asked to update these details in IFS manually, which is what we have been trying to do in this case.

I appreciate your help with, so thanks for that

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Well, if the employee data are imported from a third party HCM application, then things might be different indeed, mainly depending on the hierarchical structure in the master application. Worst case scenario is a change in the position structure parallel to a change in the organization/position assignment. Since the exact circumstances have to be known, it’s hard to advise in this case.

Nevertheless, you could try to undo the erroneous changes. If you made the wrong corrections yesterday, you should change the User Date in the header of the Graphical Position Structure to 15-02-2023 and then change things back to what they were before.

Subsequently, you can change the User Date on that page again, now to the date on which the correct changes have to become effective, and then make those correct changes in the position structure.

Note as well, that you should regenerate the position access after changing the position structure.

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Thanks very much for your help, changing the user date in the header worked perfectly, appreciate the assistance.

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Sorry, one more thing,  regarding regenerating the position access, do you mean to right click and generate on the row of the person being moved in this screen? Thanks

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

No, you should do an overall regeneration of the position access (which can be done from within the Position Access Setup window).

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

So you mean choose Generate in the header of that screen, so it runs for everyone? Sorry this is quite new to me.

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Yep

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Thanks for clarifying, all is clear.