Solved

Translate standard IFS report to Chines

• 3 April 2020
  • 8 replies

Badge +2

When printing a standard IFS report in the language chines (zh)  the labels in the report appears as set of boxes. Language files and the translations files are re-imported but still the it display as boxes. When login in chines the application terms translates to chines without any issue. 

Is there any specific setting I’m missing that required to run a standard IFS report in Chines? 

For example when trying to print a IFS report in chines (zh) the report displays as follows:

icon

Best answer by ChanakaAmarasekara 9 April 2020, 06:43

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi Sunila88,

What is you current Apps-Version?

In Apps 10, I´m not sure if this was possible in App9 , it´s possible to replace a font: 

In this case in all Reports the font arial will be replaced with Courier. This also works if you add a chinese font in the first tab. 

Best regards,

Darius 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi,

As Darius said this looks like an issue with font mapping. Normally fonts like Arial doesn’t have Chinese fonts (or Glyphs) and it can’t show the Chinese fonts. You can resolve this by mapping the fonts in your report with a font that support Chinese fonts. Normally ShimHie or Arial Unicode would support these fonts. IFS ship the Arial Unicode with UCFONT component.

Regards,

Badge +2

Thanks Darius and Chanaka. 

The application version is APP 8. I actually tried font mapping before as it was suggested in F1 but it didn’t work. As suggested i tried again . It didn’t work. The change was the labels display with ‘#’ mark. What am i still missing.  Could you please advice ?

I am just curious to know, why font mappings are not required when translating standard IFS report to Arabic Language?  

Best Regards,

Sunila

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi Suni,

Nice to see you around 🙂

One reason you are getting the # is could be due because those labels has any font properties (Bold, Italic) set. As far as I know SimHei does not support font properties.

Why font mapping are not required for Arabic: It’s because Arial font supports Arabic characters. See the full list of supported character codes here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/typography/font-list/arial

Hope it helps.

Cheers!

Damith

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Thanks Darius and Chanaka. 

The application version is APP 8. I actually tried font mapping before as it was suggested in F1 but it didn’t work. As suggested i tried again . It didn’t work. The change was the labels display with ‘#’ mark. What am i still missing.  Could you please advice ?

I am just curious to know, why font mappings are not required when translating standard IFS report to Arabic Language?  

Best Regards,

Sunila

Hi,

It will not work only if you have the mapping. You need to have the font and the font matrix and the font configuration in the runtime in the application server in the jar file.

See the following links for more details:

Report Fonts:

https://wit.ifsworld.com/f1docs/apps8/Foundation1/020_administration/250_reporting/010_operational_reporting/080_report%20substitution_fonts/default.htm

How to add the font in runtime:

https://wit.ifsworld.com/f1docs/apps8/Foundation1/020_administration/250_reporting/010_operational_reporting/080_report%20substitution_fonts/default.htm#Add_new_fonts_in_runtime

How to include the font in runtime:

Have a look at the section “Include and use new fonts in runtime (Database)”

https://wit.ifsworld.com/f1docs/apps8/Foundation1/050_development/025_reporting/010_operational_reporting/050_layout_design/020_layout_design/070_fonts/default.htm

You need to create the font matrix xml, to do this have a look at the “Include and use new fonts in design time (IFS Report Designer)” section from the above link.

Regards, 

Badge +2

Thanks and Damith and Chanaka.

As to the F1 doc I try to add a new font for chines. I am trying to add a TTC file for the font “Microsoft JhengHei “.  As it is a TTC there are 2 files (Regular and Bold). Both these files are used in the font “Microsoft JhengHei UI” too. 

When executing the Create_XML_from_TTC.cmd command for ttc it requires 2 parameters the ttc name without the extension and the name of the font to create XML for as the second parameter. I add the 2nd parameter in different ways and it didn’t work.

The command was as follows:

\RepDesFontTools>Create_XML_from_TTC.cmd msjhbd 'MicrosoftJhengHei'

the message received is as follows:

I added the 2nd parameter in different ways but it didn’t work. 

Could you please advice.

Best Regards,

Sunila

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

From F1 Doc

If you want to use a font from a TrueType collection file (ttc), use the Create_XML_from_TTC.cmd command file. The file takes the ttc name (without extension as first variable and the name of the font to create XML for as the second parameter. Just supplying the ttc name will list the available fonts. If the font name you want to use contains white spaces or you want to use several fonts from the same collection you will have to modify the command script slightly or run the TTFReader tool separately (sample: java -cp .\fop.jar org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader -ttcname "MS Gothic" msgothic.ttc msgothic.xml)

According to your screenshot the font name should be 'MicrosoftJhengHei <some chinese chars>' but it seems your OS doesn’t have Chinese charcter support so you can’t type it. Normally the ???? should show some valid character value.

Try creating the files from the Report Designer Tool “Add Font” options.

Regards,

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi @ChanakaAmarasekara ,

For a customer in IFS cloud 22R2 SU12 needs to enable Chinese(zt) translations for report and it was not supported with font Arial . When I did font substitution to Sazanami Gothic it worked fine.

Is this Chinese translations going to be supported for other fonts like Arial in future(in new ifs cloud versions)?