Question

SSLHandshakeException on Middleware - Apps10

• 5 October 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Earlier today we had a windows defender firewall issue on our test Oracle database server.  We got that resolved but prior to finding the cause we did mws-svr stops/restarts and now one of the instances is hung up with this error: 
10/5/23 4:08:43 PM <ERROR  > SSLHandshakeException - Message : sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target (Alert.java:131)
10/5/23 4:08:43 PM <ERROR  >  ..caused by: ValidatorException - Message : PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target (PKIXValidator.java:439)
10/5/23 4:08:43 PM <ERROR  >  ..caused by: SunCertPathBuilderException - Message : unable to find valid certification path to requested target (SunCertPathBuilder.java:141) 

I get this when I run mws-svr.cmd as an administrator and attempt to do a status check on all.

I also get a similar error when I try to do a reconfigure.  

I have imported the wildcard certificate we use for all of our sites into the personal certificate store and the godaddy intermediate certificate is imported into the trusted root certification authorities.

Any ideas on how I get past this?  Our other two test instances are up and running now.  All three use the same wildcard certificate.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +31

Hi @CHFFORBESN,

Please run the installer in reconfiguration mode and provide the wildcard certificate in the TLS configuration step in the installer. Even though you have imported the certificate and the intermediates to the certificate store, you still need to configure IFS Middleware Server as well to use the certificate. 

Following article may also be helpful in case you need to create a certificate containing the full trust chain:

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

I tried to do a reconfigure but got stuck because of the error.  My Nayotech support resolved it but didn’t say how they resolved it.