Question

Report Designer unresolved references, version 200.3.0000

• 22 December 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge +2

I hope someone can help because I’m about at my wits end. I have unresolved references in several report layouts but they have never been significant until a custom field required for sorting the report shows up on this list. After a pile of searching, I saw in the Release Notes for v200.3 that mentioned this bug  was fixed back in 80.02.1818 and again in 200.2.0001? We have been using v100.x.xxxx - I assure you the bug is in this version. I don’t know how IFS can claim this problem was resolved as late as October 31, 2023.

I am not sure what to think about 200.3. The first big flag was an invalid certificate dialog that requires the user to accept or reject. I could not move forward without accepting. I will reach out to our support desk no this.

I open the troubled report layout and WHAM! Only 1 of 9 unresolved references are left! I can work with that. My “big test” was to open and close the file over and over until I was satisfied the the references would not return. That .rdl was in the root folder of the trouble ticket and is now loaded in DEV.

Thank you, yessss... The joy was short-lived. 

The next morning, I go to the root folder and open the file - the unresolved references are back. What? I start opening different version throughout my sub-folders and all but 1 opened with these 9 unresolved references in version 200.3. That file is still the only known good layout I have. Now, skittish to send it to the next environment because the .rdl would have to touch a storage device. I’m wearing garlic around my neck at this point. This is crazy.

Since Tuesday, when the problem was miraculously fixed, I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled both v200.3 and 100.x. This is where I hope the certificate is the problem but I have little faith. Now, when I open an .rdl file in v200.3, the report canvas is blank, but the filename at the top is correct and tree structures are visible. I have tried to reset my display adapter several times but the canvas stays blank, not even the grid.

These kind of shenanigan's can put a guy’s job in jeopardy with little recourse to explain any of it - other than what you see above.

Help me, Obi-wan Kanobi. You’re my only hope.

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

@BlackOpsEnt  That’s certainly a lot to take in.  

Generally, I think the unresolved references are caused by invalid paths to xml elements, invalid functions, and mismatches between the schema file (.xsd) and layout (.rdl).  

If you open your layout and have unresolved references and resolve those references and save the file, you’re right to expect that the references should stay resolved - as long as the layout still finds the schema and you’re not accidentally opening another version - which can happen if you’re using Git.

Since you sound like you know what you’re doing and have not mentioned Git, can you maybe try the version before 200.3? 200.2.0002 is still available here:

https://developer.ifs.com/tools/repdesigner

Badge +2

Hi, Tracy:

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I will try version 200.2 and get back to you.

Aaron