Question

Report Designer: changing bar width in EAN-128 barcodes

• 16 December 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge +3

We have prepared a new report layout in Report Designer with EAN-128 barcodes. We have received feedback that our bars are too narrow, they have about 0,3 mm width and they should have 0,5 mm. There is an option “Narrow bar width” in the barcode properties with default value 0,3 mm. So, I have changed it to a greater value. New barcodes must be erroneous, we have problems with scanning them. I have checked the barcodes and it seems that not all bars got greater width.

Do you have any experience with printing EAN-128 barcodes with wider bar width?

4 replies

Badge +3

I have attached sample barcodes.

First one has default narrow bar width 0,3 mm, the second one has 0,4 mm.

The red rectangle shows possible problem: first two bars and two spaces have the same width.

Badge +2

Hi Piotr,

We have the same problem with SSCC barcodes. GS1 provider cannot verify the barcode when the width is set to 0,0495cm (the minimum x-dimension value). I see no response here, but by any chance, do you already have a solution?

Many thanks in advance,

Milan 

Badge +3

Hi,

this problem has been reported to IFS Customer Support. The got feedback that the barcodes are generated by 3-rd party software and our support reported the problem to that external party. 

According to my tests and investigation, barcodes are correct for default width 0,3 mm and double width 0,6 mm. Other widths less than 0,6 mm produce barcodes with invalid vertical bars or spaces.

If you have enough space on labels, you can try increasing the width to 0,6 mm. We cannot do this, as our customer uses 10x15 cm labels.

Best regards,

Piotr

Badge +2

Hi Piotr,

exact multiples really do work.

Thanks again for your reply.

Regards,

Milan