Solved

Released document

• 26 April 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

We are in APPs 8 and we would like to use document management.

What are the best practices if we want to attach external files (like email, pictures…) on which we do not want to manage revisions or approvals. Is it correct to create a specific class for external documents ?

It is required to put this kind of document in “released” or “approved” state ? or else, is it possible to automate the “released” state for one class of document ?

Thanks for your help

icon

Best answer by ShawnBerk 27 April 2020, 17:22

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

For email, pictures and other things that are snapshots and will not change over time, there is no need to release or approve them.  We have 10s of thousands left in preliminary.  I wouldn’t worry with automating release, it doesn’t really help or change anything for these types of attachments.

I would recommend a separate document class or two to organize things.  We have one generic dumping ground class called CRM_EMAIL, I don’t like it really because it gets abused, but it does make it easy for the sales people because they don’t have to think which one to pick.

For documents requiring a release or approval process, I would recommend they be more controlled and unique to a particular document class as the approval workflows key off of a particular document class.  The more unique and controlled they are, the better the approvals can be managed.

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Thanks for your answer!

This supports my view that we have take the right decision.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi,

It’s up to every customer to decide if their documents needs an approval and release process or not. I would not say that releasing “less important” (my words) documents is not important though. If you are not releasing them, they can be edited, at least by those with Edit access. Releasing them will “lock them” in a stronger way, with less risk for anyone updating them.

But, again, this is a matter of taste. If you decide now to not release certain documents it is not very hard to release them in bulk, from the Document Revisions overview page (you can release at least a few hundreds at a time in this way), or using some script.

/Mathias

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

or using some script.

Hi Mathias,

Do you have any examples of a script to release documents?

Shawn

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

or using some script.

Hi Mathias,

Do you have any examples of a script to release documents?

Shawn

Sorry, no, I have nothing ready. You should be able to use the Debug console to find out what happens when a document is released (use the “quick release”/release on save feature in docman) and copy that into a script. Of course, it takes some knowledge about SQL and PL/SQL coding to put the script together. If you cannot do it, perhaps some other users here with time on their hands can do it. Or you could contact IFS support and pay them to create such a script for you.