Solved

Profile questions

• 29 April 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi,

We’re having a lot of issues with profiles in our environment.  We’re currently in IFS Apps 10, Upd. 4.  We have our Dev upgraded to Upd 7, and have been testing, but are unsure if the following issue has been fixed yet.

We have an environment that consists of around 180 active users, and around 1-2x per week, I receive a ticket like this:

I started keeping a log, and as you can see it’s not super consistent, but there are some paterns:

In order to fix the issue, I just go into their personal profile and delete the settings for the page they’re receiving the error on.

For example, for “Nic G”, I opened his personal profile, deleted “tbwExpenseHead”, and the problem was resolved.  The reason this works, is because the custom field seemingly randomly hides itself, and deleting the personal profile settings for that page makes the base profile settings take effect for the page. 

At first we thought maybe it was caused from IFS crashing (another issue we are dealing with frequently since updating to Apps 10.), disconnects, having IFS force log you off due to idle time, etc. but this doesn’t always seem to be the case.

Another question, most likely not related, but I would like to understand profiles better.  Does anyone know what these settings are for in a base profile?

This is under Windows → Features.  Not all parent page/table/etc settings have anything listed there, but I’d really like to understand what these mean. 

icon

Best answer by Rusiru Dharmadasa 30 April 2020, 05:19

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

I don’t think the highlighted entries are causing this problem - if you are thinking so. But the sudden crashes can obviously cause the profile to corrupt - like in your case. So that can be the reason. In most cases if the personal and base profile are very large in size, this happens frequently - try exporting each profile in to .xml file and check its size. If it is larger than several MBs, try to reduce it by removing unwanted profile entries. 

All these settings are properties of the underline window (frmCustomerOrder - in your example). 

See the attached picture with the following numbers. I have added a quick explanation for each item, but refer to F1 help for more information (Hit F1 key while you are on the RMB -> Properties dialog)

1. RemoveStandardMenu
This option will remove the standard RMB menu for this screen. When you RMB only the common items for all screens will be shown. 
In customer order form window RMB items such as Print Order confirmation, Calculate Discount, Pre Posting... etc. will be hidden.

2. UserDefinedMenu
Selecting this will show custom menu items for this screen. Otherwise it will be hidden.

3. HiddenMenuItems
This will write the hidden menu items from the standard menu - applicable only if the RemoveStandardMenu is false. In advanced popup, you can choose original menu items to hide.

4. ReadOnly
This will write the read only columns specified in "Read Only" tab in the same properties dialog

5. ServerValidationEnabled
Check this option if you want a field to be validated (to see if it contains a valid value) as soon as you leave the field. Note: Regardless of this setting, all fields are always validated before they are saved.

6. MaxFetchWithoutWarning
This will decide the number of rows to fetch before show a warning to user. If there are more rows, it will prompt user to choose either Yes or No to fetch those.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Wow, Rusiru, thank you for such a detailed response!  That helps a lot!

These profiles that are having issues, are definitely bigger in size.  I will work with our functional leads to try to trim them down.

Here are some having the issue:

One of the ones that I know has had the issue frequently is 5.4 MB.  Is that still too large?  What would be a good target for the profile size, in your opinion?

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

I think 5.4 is still big in size. But if user has a speed network connection and db operations are speedy it should be ok. Also this is obviously better than the other profiles that are shown in the screen shot. In these profiles there should be unnecessary tags. Hence try to remove them. Please make sure to delete unwanted entries using ifs ee client. Never edit it using text editors.

Basically when a user is existing ee client, all the profile changes from last session are written to the database. If the profile is very big it will take a considerable time to finish so there is higher chance that this operation emds without a proper termination. I think that can cause this profile to corrupt.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

It is possible to inactive an invalid identifier (non custom field) in the “Lobby Element Designer” to avoid the above mentioned error message?