Question

Print Jobs Locking up IFSPrint Server

• 2 August 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge +5

Once a day between 11am and 3pm we get an absolute halt in printing. We are seeing many "Error in retrieving the report from Crystal Web Service. Please Contact your System Administrator." messages at this time. I am new to IFS. I have read several people say to reinstall CWS and things should get better. How do I know what version I need and where do I get it from? 

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi,

You will find details on how to install the CWS in the Technical Documentation under the installation guide. See attached screenshot for more details.

If it’s working and only not working during some time period, then it looks like an external issue.

1. Maybe the CWS is unable to handle the load during a heavy printing period or when printing large reports which takes time.
  2. Maybe there are large reports scheduled during this time.
  3. Maybe there are network issues which prevents the CWS from connecting to the DB or the Application Server to connect to the CWS.
  4. Maybe due to the heavy printing during this time period there resources in the CWS are not sufficient. e.g. memory.

Suggest that you,

1. Enable the logs in CWS and check them to verify any issues.
  2. Check the windows event logs for any issues like network or memory.
  3. Check the resource levels during this time period in the machine where the CWS is installed
  4. If there is heavy printing during this time period, then install multiple CWS to distribute the load.

Regards,

Badge +5

A: Do you have a link? Google only sends me IFS10 and IFS Cloud Links.

B: How do you install multiple CWS. This definitely sounds useful. Do I need more than one Server?

C: I get Crystal Reports errors sporatically throughout the day but we only see the Hard Stop of prints during those hours. If I restart the Print server it goes back to normal.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15
  1. Sorry there is no public site for Apps9. That is why I sent you the navigator path. You should be able to access it through your documentation site.
  2. That is also there in the documentation. The next link after the highlighted one.
  3. Not sure what you mean by Print Server, if it’s the machine where the CWS is installed then a restart means the CWS is restarted. Hence if it’s a resource issue then it would be solved.
Badge +5

A: I am brand new at this. My boss left 2 months ago and I’m just trying to put the pieces together. 0 IFS training. The Navigator you speak of. Where can I access it? I have not been made aware of this resource.

C: IFS has several servers. We have an IFSDB, IFSPrint,IFSMiddleWare,IFSDB and IFSProduction. To run multiple CWS do I need a separate server for each instance?

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi @Arbetrayer ,

You can access the IFS online documentation from within IFS Enterprise Explorer and navigate to the technical documentation from within the documentation.   Navigate to the Help then click on IFS Application help.   When the web page opens at the bottom of the navigation menu click Technical Doc this well take you to the technical help page @ChanakaAmarasekara  showed you in his screenshot.

Regards,

William Klotz

Userlevel 7
Badge +15
  1. I think you can access the documentation from the way which William has mentioned. If not let me know. 
  1. No, you can install multiple CWS instances on the same machine where the current CWS instance is installed. You need to duplicate the folder that is originally installed from the CWS setup and then do a small configuration. This is all mentioned in the documentation. 

Regards,