Skip to main content

Hi IFS Community

In our business we use a variety of different Part Types in IFS APP10 (Master Part, Sales Part, Purchase Part, Inventory Part & Engineering Part), for example, if you were to look at a Finished Goods part it has a record in all five part types.

We have sales parts to allow us to sell goods to customers, Inventory parts for production and storage of raw materials and purchase parts to buy the raw materials from suppliers. 

I suppose my question is do we need to have all these different part types, are they all linked, do you have to start with a master part and it replicates all the way down through the other part types? if they are linked is there a document or work instruction/flow to show how everything is linked together?  

Only been using app10 for 1 year and trying to get my head round the system set up.

Any help would be appreciated. 

Hi @Robert Ross ,

Below I have provided answers for your questions.

1- Do we need to have all these different part types?

Different parts have different purposes. For an example, if you need to sell a part, then you need to have a Sales Part (or non-inventory Sales Part). If you purchase a part, then you need to have Purchase Part created in the system.

Multiple different part types can refer to a single part as well. If you purchase a part and then sell it to customers, then the same part must have a purchase part as well as a sales part.

Depending on your requirement, you need to have relevant part types. In a situation, where you do not sell a particular part, then there isn’t any necessity to have a Sales Part in the system.

2- Are they all linked?

Any part type that is created has a reference to the master part. Therefore, different part types created for the same part are linked.

3- Do you have to start with a master part and it replicates all the way down through the other part types

While you have the option to start with a master part, it is not a must. For an example, when you create an Inventory Part, if you select the part type as ‘Purchased’, then at the creation of that Inventory Part, a master part and a purchase part will also be automatically created by the system.

4- If they are linked is there a document or work instruction/flow to show how everything is linked together

You can refer the help documentation related to those Part types. IFS Academy courses offered in Supply Chain Management area also contain valuable information on the links of those different part types.

Regards,
Kethaka

Brilliant, thanks for your help Kethaka