Solved

Multiple PDFs being generated for every invoice print?

• 13 March 2020
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

We’re seeing 2 emails being sent to customers for every customer invoice that is printed using the Bulk Print Customer Invoice mechanism, in Apps10 UPD5.

Each email has an invoice PDF attached with identical content but each file has a separate filename (e.g. Invoice_0001.pdf and Invoice_0004.pdf).  This makes sense as to why 2 emails are being sent since it looks like 2 PDF files are being created for every invoice.

So the question is why is it generating 2 PDF files for each invoice when printing invoices using the Batch Print Customer Invoices screen?   Any ideas or has anyone out there seen similar?

We were originally using the Print/Send option but even with Print Only it still generates 2 PDFs and therefore 2 emails.

Any help appreciated!  Thanks,

Nick

icon

Best answer by NickPorter 27 March 2020, 13:49

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi

Check if you have any event actions for PDF_REPORT_CREATED and any report rules for actions “send email” or “print to logical printer”. If so, try disabling them and check if it works. For example if you have an event action for PDF_REPORT_CREATED event and “print to logical printer” an email is send from the PDF_REPORT_CREATED event action when the print job is successfully completed and if you have a “print to logical printer” rule again the PDF_REPORT_CREATED event action will trigger when the other print job is successfully completed. If this is the case, you will have to add more conditions to the rules and the event actions.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Chanaka

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Here are a couple of places to check:

Check on the Customer Form -  Invoice Tab

Apps 9 Navigator Path: Application Base Setup\Enterprise\Customer\Customer

Ensure ‘No of Invoice Copies:’ is set to 0 (1 means that the original will be printed and then 1 extra copy will also be printed)

Check Customer Groups 

Apps 9 Navigator Path: Financials\Customer Invoice\Basic Data\Customer Groups

Ensure ‘Default No of Invoice Copies’ is set to 0 (1 means that the original will be printed and then 1 extra copy will also be printed)

Regards, Callum

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

@ChanakaAmarasekara  - We only have 1 PDF_REPORT_CREATED event action for Invoices (there is another for POs based on report=’Purchase Order’ in the Conditions .

We do have 1 Report Rule but it is for a completely different report (a placard for pallets), so that shouldn’t be causing any conflict.

@CallumW - I wasn’t aware of those settings but they are all set to 0 so per your note they should not be impacting this.

If I disable the PDF_REPORT_CREATED event action for emailing Invoices, no invoices are emailed at all.  So I’m sure that this mechanism itself is definitely what is sending the 2 emails, but the question is still “Why is it generating 2 PDFs in the first place?”

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

If it helps, I just noticed that if an invoice is printed for a customer who doesn’t have an email address set up correctly, the PDF_REPORT_CREATED email event action fails to send (obviously) but it only fails once...  So it looks like in that scenario only 1 PDF file is generated otherwise I would expect to see 2 failed messages.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

If it helps, I just noticed that if an invoice is printed for a customer who doesn’t have an email address set up correctly, the PDF_REPORT_CREATED email event action fails to send (obviously) but it only fails once...  So it looks like in that scenario only 1 PDF file is generated otherwise I would expect to see 2 failed messages.

Check the application code, maybe it’s creating two print jobs. Basically the event is triggered when a print job is successfully completed. So this means two print jobs are created. Maybe the first print job is triggering another print job. This is why you didn’t get two when it error out. If this is the case maybe there is another event action or a report rule. or maybe there is a modification in the print_job_api to send a printout based on content as mentioned in the following link

https://docs.ifs.com/techdocs/Foundation1/040_administration/250_operational_reporting/110_email_reports/default.htm

Regards,

*Admin Update: Replaced wit links with doc links (April 2020)

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Found this Bug fixes which might help

151797 : Duplicate Invoice Reports and emails being generated when using Batch Print Customer Invoices

This has gone in UPD7. Maybe this will fix your issue.

Regards,

Chanaka

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

@ChanakaAmarasekara Yes, based on a Case note from late yesterday I think that IFS is also at looking at a possible Bug ID (150044).  They’re testing internally at this time.  I will update this when confirmed.

Thanks to all for all the good ideas.

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

IFS delivered Bug ID 150044 for us which has resolved the issue