Solved

Middleware SSL works on hostname, not on FQDN

• 22 May 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi,

I have an apps 10 server which we have installed new SSL certs on - these contain the normal host name eg. server1, and the fully qualified name e.g. server1.example.com.  We can access IFS middleware using the host name (server1) but not the fully qualified name (server1.example.com), we insted get a “Forbidden” warning.  Where is this controlled in the ifs mw configuration, and how to I get IFS to answer to both?

icon

Best answer by Ben Monroe 22 May 2023, 16:19

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi Hypervox,

This is typically handled automatically. Is your “server1” in a (Active Directory) domain called “example.com”? Does your DNS actually resolve this correctly?

On the “System Access Setup” screen, if you use SSL Passthrough, you can specify a secondary FQDN. This is intended for external access via a load balancer FQDN, which may differ from the actual server name.

More precisely, this is controlled by Oracle HTTP Server configuration. While the configuration files can be edited manually, this is not recommended or supported as any such changes will be overwritten at the next re-configuration.

Best regards, Ben

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Thanks Ben,

That worked - sort of.  It only responds now on the FQDN (server1.example.com), I now get “forbidden” on the hostname (server1).  Is that the expected behaviour?

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi Hypervox,

Yes, typically an environment is accessed via the FQDN URL.

Best regards, Ben