Question

Logical Printer not in Task Template still processed as such

• 20 December 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge +3

Hi,

We are running IFS10 Update 11.

I’m a bit confused about the setup of Logical Printers, Task Template and Printer Agent.

My example:

First I add a brand new logical printer named My New Printer. Then I add the printer to my User ID.

Logical Printers
User Printer

I go to Customer Order and print a Customer Order Confirmation on My New Printer.

I then go to Print Manager. The error message says that the selected printer agent is not mapped to any printer agent.

Print Manager

The thing is, I haven’t added the printer to the Task Template and still the application message says that the message used the template PROCESSING_PRINT_JOBS.

Application Messages

Is this some kind of setting I’ve missed? That is, even though I haven’t added the Logical Printer to any Task Template it’s picked up by one.

It was my understanding that if I don’t add the Logical Printer to any Task Template I would end up with another error (something along the lines of “no report formatter setup for the printer”).

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Do you have the IFS print agent running on any of your servers?

This message can appear when it you have a logical printer, but IFS cant find a running print agent.

Badge +3

Do you have the IFS print agent running on any of your servers?

This message can appear when it you have a logical printer, but IFS cant find a running print agent.

Hi yes, the above screenshots are from our test environment, and there we have the IFS printer agent  (Java version) installed on the application server.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Ok, can you check the configuration on your Print Agent and check that it has a mapping for Logical printer MY_NEW_PRINTER.  It should be in the printagent_conf.xml file and look like the following:

<PRINTER_MAPPINGS>    <PRINTER_MAPPING>      <LOGICAL>MY_NEW_PRINTER</LOGICAL>       <PHYSICAL></PHYSICAL>     </PRINTER_MAPPING>  </PRINTER_MAPPINGS>

Further details are found here: https://docs.ifs.com/techdocs/foundation1/020_installation/400_installation_options/005_operational_reporting/020_install_print_agents/default.htm

Badge +3

Ok, can you check the configuration on your Print Agent and check that it has a mapping for Logical printer MY_NEW_PRINTER.  It should be in the printagent_conf.xml file and look like the following:

<PRINTER_MAPPINGS>    <PRINTER_MAPPING>      <LOGICAL>MY_NEW_PRINTER</LOGICAL>       <PHYSICAL></PHYSICAL>     </PRINTER_MAPPING>  </PRINTER_MAPPINGS>

Further details are found here: https://docs.ifs.com/techdocs/foundation1/020_installation/400_installation_options/005_operational_reporting/020_install_print_agents/default.htm

Nope, no mapping for the printer MY_NEW_PRINTER in the config file and I can’t find it in the remote_printer_mapping_tab table.

And double checking the Task Template PROCESSING_PRINT_JOBS the printer MY_NEW_PRINTER is not added there.

Have I misunderstod something here?