IFS Embedded Workflow

• 27 April 2023
  • 8 replies

Badge +3

Relating to how Camunda is implemented within IFS

8 replies

Badge +3

Hello,

In the IFS embedded version of Camunda, can a workflow call another workflow?

Badge +3

No Matter which of these I select… 

I get the same message…

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi @iam0kru 

Please try to use a call activity/task to call your other workflow. This would be set inside your current workflow, and would not be a projection action or event action.

If you cannot get that to work, please try to create a subprocess with the same workflow inside of it. This is more of a workaround rather than a proper implementation, but it should work fine for certain things.

I hope this helps,

Bryan

Badge +3

He Bryan, thanks for the quick response.  I do have a call/activity/task within the workflow.  But the error message is telling me that a call activity/task is not allowed.  that is my struggle...I need to use the call activity/task.

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi @iam0kru 

Can you please provide the error message? You can get more information about the error message via the debug menu.

Also, it seems like in this screenshot you provided, that this workflow only contains one call to another workflow. If that is the case (It most likely is not but I’ll suggest this anyways), why not add the other projection action/ event action trigger to the initial workflow?

Thanks,
Bryan

Badge +3

Hi Bryan,

Here is the message…

The single call is the only thing in the workflow because I am trying to get the concept (the concept of calling a separate workflow) to work properly before I add in more functionality.

If I can get this workflow to call another workflow then I know it’s possible.  But at the moment, I cannot deploy this workflow because of the error message.  This means I cannot test if it works correctly.

Thanks again for your help with this.

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi @iam0kru,

Are you using a projection action as the trigger, or an event action? You can only do user tasks with projection actions as per 21r2 (it could have been 22r1) so its possible that they also limit what kind of calls can be performed with event actions. I wish I had more information to give you, but I came across a similar issue with user tasks, it had the same error message and I ended up fixing it by turning off the event action and using a projection action. I’d look into that first, sorry I couldn’t be of more help.

Thanks,
Bryan 

Badge +3

I’m using a projection action as the initial trigger…

Thanks for trying.

I’ll try a few more experiments and if I can’t get the past this deployment issue I’ll have to conclude this is intentionally restricted and impossible (maybe possible in later versions).

I’ll also keep looking for documentation that states exactly what is and is not restricted in the various versions.

Thanks again Bryan and happy Workflowing!  :--)