Solved

IFS EE Link Handler extension not working in Windows 11

• 5 February 2024
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hi,

We are assessing the compatibility of IFS Applications 10 (Update 11) with Windows 11.

It was observed that when  the IFS EE Link Handler extension is enabled in MS Edge, the ClickOnce link is not functioning, i.e., the application is not getting downloaded upon clicking on the ClickOnce link.

Has anyone come across this issue?

Is there any workaround for the issue?

Regards

Thilochana

icon

Best answer by lakglk 11 March 2024, 04:20

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi,

Have you installed the IFS EE Link Handler MSI? It’s required for the full functionality. You can obtain this MSI from the Addons section of the Landing page.

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hi Lakmal,

Thank you for the reply. Both the extension and MSI were installed from the Software Center IFS Installation package (SCCM), as it is typically installed on Win 10 user machines. Since ClikcOnce link was not working, both were installed manually too, but the issue still exists. 

This was tested in another Win 11 device and observed that issue exists in that device too.

In the IFS Supported Platforms document, it can be seen that Win 11 is supported from UPD 16 onwards. 

Is this a known issue with Windows 11 for IFS 10 versions lower than UPD 16?

Do you know whether a new extension was released along with the with UPD 16 and newer versions?

Has this issue been raised by any other customer/party?

We highly appreciate your response on this matter.

Kind Regards

Thilochana

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi,

This is indeed quite odd given that we verified this for UPD22. Could you please share your OS details and MS Edge version?

Can you also try uninstalling the extension from Edge and trying out some ClickOnce links? Edge has support for ClickOnce by default (unless a specific Group Policy disables it) and we never intended the extension to be used with Edge because of this fact (although it’s certainly possible). 

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hi Lakmal,

Thank you for the reply.

IFS ClickOnce link works fine on MS Edge when the IFS EE Link handler extension is disabled.

The issue we're encountering is that when the extension is disabled, it triggers a pop-up message, which negatively impacts the user experience.

We are currently using Extension on MS Edge in Win 10 without any issue, and the above pop-up message doesn’t appear. 

Is there an alternative method to prevent the pop-up message from appearing without installing the extension on MS Edge?

We tested the same in Chrome browser, and it works fine even when the extension is enabled.

Could you please verify if this issue persists when using the latest version of IFS 10 UPD 22 on MS Edge in Win 11?

Currently, IFS is working on upgrading customer’s IFS environments to  IFS 10 UPD 22.
Details of Win 11 OS and version of MS Edge is given below.

OS

Edition  Windows 11 Enterprise
Version  23H2
Installed on  ‎4/‎01/‎2024
OS build  22631.2861
Experience  Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22681.1000.0

MS Edge

Microsoft Edge for Business

Version 121.0.2277.112 (Official build) (64-bit)

Thank you.

Regards

Thilochana

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

@lakglk 

Hi Lakmal,

Could you please check this and provide an update? I have raised this issue with IFS Unified Support and they have mentioned that IFS community will help on this via this post. 

I have provided the details of the Windows 11 OS and MS Edge browser version in the previous comment.

Can you please confirm whether IFS ClickOnce link (IFS 10 latest version - UPD 22)  can be accessed via MS Edge in Windows 11 while IFS link handler extension is enabled?

As you have mentioned in your comment, if IFS link handler extension is not intended to be installed in MS Edge, is there any other way to prevent occurring the following pop-up message?

Thank you.

Regards

Thilochana

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

We’ll need some time to investigate this. I have brought this up with the IEE Client team.

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

@lakglk 

Thank you for the update, Lakmal. 

Please keep us updated with the progress.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Regarding the popup dialog, you may want to look into 

Understand the ClickOnce and DirectInvoke features in Microsoft Edge

Microsoft Edge - Policies

I have also tested the situation in Microsoft Edge, and it appears to work as expected for me.

My system settings:

• Windows 11 Enterprise Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631. 3007)
  • Microsoft Edge Version 122.0.2365.63 (Official build) (64-bit)

The expected behavior is seen on Windows 10 as well. At this point, I can only attribute this to some sort of system configuration. 

Could you please look into the links I have provided and see if they are a valid workaround? I believe since Microsoft Edge supports ClickOnce natively, that functionality should be used instead of the extension.

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hi Lakmal,

Thank you for verifying.

I’ll check the configurations and update the post.

Regards

Thilochana

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

@lakglk 

Hi Lakmal,

Based on your input, it was further investigated and identified that IFS EE Link Handler Extension is not working on MS Edge in Windows 11 due to new registry settings for MS Edge

(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Edge).

It was working fine after removing the new settings (compared to settings in Windows 10 Device).

FYI: went though the links that you’ve shared on enabling ClickOnce on MS Edge, etc.

Despite attempting various settings adjustments, we couldn't eliminate the pop-up message on MS Edge, except by installing IFS EE Link Handler.

Really appreciate your help with resolving this matter.

Kind Regards

Thilochana