Question

IFS API Documentation/workflow?

• 26 August 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I’m working on some internal IFS integrations for my company to automate some tasks. I’ve been poking around the IFS API for a few months now so have a general idea of how it works. I’m able to retrieve and insert records, but the documentation of the API is still a bit of a mystery.

My workflow is this:

1. Understand how the feature works in the enterprise explorer
  2. Find the same feature within the Aurena client and grant necessary permissions to the projection
  3. Watch the requests in the network tab to figure out which projection handler is being hit
  4. Look at the API Explorer in Aurena to see if there is any useful additional information in there (usually not)
  5. Copy the parameters and repeatedly test the transactions in code and try to identify possible edge cases

So - am I missing anything in this process? Is there some magical PDF out there that has clear and concise explanations of every projection and all the possible arguments? Or does it have to be this incremental process of understand process → monitor request → fiddle with parameters? 

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Have you looked at the API Explorer in Aurena? I don’t know how much help it is, but the process you outline is the same one I use to figure out Package API calls for my data migration processes. Lots of debugging, lots of trial-and-error, and there does not seem to be more in-depth examples or documentation readily available.

You can check with IFS Support and see if an IFS resource can provide you with more examples for specific calls. We are looking into that for the .NET Access Provider layer, as it also is light on documentation.

Thanks,

Joe Kaufman

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @garypopov ,

Do you have access to F1 documentation. Then please refer the below content and check whether you can get useful information for your issues.

http://f1web/f1docproj/apps10sp/

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Yes, I’ve been there. I’ve also run the openapi-generator against the projection API definitions, but the ruby generator produced code with lots of syntax errors so I gave up on using any of the generated code.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

HI @garypopov ,

You can use postman tool to see the content as below in OpenApi specification.

You can get the guidance from below

https://docs.ifs.com/techdocs/Foundation1/050_development/024_integration/010_restful_odata/default.htm

You can import the Open Api specification as below in postman.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

That is the same documentation as can be seen in the API Explorer.

I’m looking for any additional information that is not already in the API explorer or in the help files that ship with the IFS install.

For example, this forum post has a link to a PDF called “IFS Field Service Management: FSM6 OData Rest APIs”. Within that document is a straight-forward explanation of how the FSM data model and various API requests work with more information about how OData Rest APIs are used within IFS.

Is there not a “general” version of that document which discusses the IFS APIs overall?

Let’s say that I am examining an IFS REST request that has this header set:

X-IFS-Accept-Warnings: true

Where would I go to find more information about it?