Question

IFS 9 EDI/MHS to IFS 10

• 7 September 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hello all,

I was wondering if it is possible to have 2 different instances of IFS communicate directly with one another. 

I have one instance that is using IFS 9 and another that uses IFS 10. I am hoping a direct connection can be established but am not sure if 3rd party software is needed to make EDI/MHS work.

Has anyone tried this before and is willing to share their experience?

For various reasons we are not able to merge the 2 into a single instance at this point. (would make my live to easy lol)

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi @Curious_User ,

Could you elaborate information you are trying to share between your IFS 9 and IFS 10 systems?

Are you trying to for example have 850 purchase orders go to both IFS 9 and IFS 10 systems simultaneously?

I know between IFS 8 and IFS 10 the XML files generated by IFS were slightly different and we had to adjust our EDI to accommodate the differences.  Its likely between IFS 9 and IFS 10 there will also be some slight differences in the XML files. 

Regards,

William Klotz

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hello @william.klotz ,

We are planning to send Purchase Orders from IFS 10 to IFS 9 which generates Customer Orders if accepted in the Incoming Customer Orders section, then send Confirmations back to IFS 10 from IFS 9.

We would follow the same logic as Inter company/Site transactions if you are familiar with them with the exception that we would use 2 separate IFS Instances at this point. (i know it is not ideal but am looking at options to supportthe users)

I would expect there to be minor differences in either table or column names.

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

I really hope someone can help me on this.

Do we need a 3rd party EDI software to make this work?

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi @Curious_User ,

You could setup an FTP server which you would use to exchange XML files between IFS 10 and IFS 9 much as you would do if you used a third party EDI partner.  On the FTP server you could have an export and import directory.   IFS  10 would place the 850 xml file (purchase order) into the export directory and IFS 9 would pull the 850 xml file (purchase order) from the import directory.

Since the XML files may not be the same format between IFS 10 and IFS 9 you would need to transform the IFS 10 XML file into an IFS 9 XML file for CUSTOMER_ORDERS.   You may be able to accomplish this either by creating a script or application which runs on the FTP server to transform the XML file into the proper format then placing the updated file in the import directory on the FTP server which your IFS 9 system would be monitoring to download the file and create the customer order.   You also may be able to write an IFS transformer and attach it in the IFS 9 system to the routing address for Incoming Receive Customer Order.

I’ve never created an IFS transformer so I’m not to familiar with them but I have used some of the built in IFS transforms in IFS 10 to convert from XML to JSON output for example.

Regards,

William Klotz