Solved

How to access and trigger Projection calls as API calls?

• 10 May 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hello,

I’m wondering what the formatting might look like for when you try to call a projection function as an API call? I’d like to call the GetDefaultsForSendMail function from the BusinessOpportunityHandling Projection. I know the API is called Business_Opportunity_API but I have no way of seeing what the method looks like for the GetDefaultsForSendMail function. There is no real API documentation in the API explorer, only the projection (oData API) documentation.

I’m trying to execute a PL/SQL server method to call that API function for an event action. 

Thanks,
Bryan

icon

Best answer by Gonzalo 11 May 2023, 10:45

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi.

You should not be using Event Actions to call PLSQL block of code. See warning below:

IFS recommends that the Execute Online SQL action type is NOT used, going forward. The recommendation is to use BPA Workflows to solve more advanced requirements.

Note that IFS intends to remove the Execute Online SQL event action type in a future update.

This information can be found here:
https://docs.ifs.com/techdocs/23r1/040_tailoring/225_configuration/150_config_best_practice/#best_practices_for_custom_events

Anyway, the code for BusinessOpportunityHandling/GetDefaultsForSendMail can be found in the .plsvc file below:

crm\source\crm\database \BusinessOpportunityHandling.plsvc

You can download the core source code from Build Place as a zip file. Unpack and search for the file above. Then, locate the following function: Get_Defaults_For_Send_Mail___

Best regards.
Gonzalo.

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi @Gonzalo

Thank you for replying so quickly! A lot of the documentation and posts concerning IFS Cloud, even newer ones by Employees, still push users to use Execute Online SQL sadly. 

Thank you for the information regarding where to find the API Function calls. Is there documentation for these functions? I’d assume there would be some indication on what they accept as parameter values and how they should be formatted so people aren’t guessing. The only documentation I’ve seen has been for Projections but I guess that’s all that will be needed in the future.

Either way, thanks again, I appreciate the heads-up,

Bryan

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi @Gonzalo 

I just thought of this, since PL/SQL methods are being outdated, then shouldn’t there be a way to create a custom attribute, like you currently can for events, or event normal entities, that can get their values by calling a projection call? Events and entity custom attributes have PL/SQL defined fields that you can declare values for. Just a thought,
Thanks,
Bryan