Skip to main content

Hello, I’m looking to gain some understanding around how our customers and partners manage field description labels. This is the early stage of a project so validating usage and use cases is important.

Have you edited or translated any field description labels? How did you find the experience?

Are field description labels beneficial in helping to guide and onboard users in your company?

In the first instance, please add your comments to the post or you can contact me through the community or email jamie.byrne@ifs.com

Thanks, Jamie

@eqbstal, @joana.m.machado, @clint1028, @tietjeca

Hi, I’ve noticed you all querying field description (tooltip) capabilities. It would be great to understand more about your specific use cases. 

@Jamie Byrne 

Hi Jamie, 

I tried translating couple of Aurena field descriptions on an Applications 10 environment for some customized fields. I am getting the translation with some strange letters. 

This only happens to translated version. The original/english version of the field description works fine.

Have you noticed this before?

Best Regards,
Nicum Wijesuriya

Hello,

The formatting issue you’re encountering originates from the fact that the field description editor in Apps10 is specifically designed for IFS Enterprise Explorer (EE). As such, IFS does not support field descriptions for Aurena on Apps10. The root of the formatting discrepancies lies in the different text formats used by IEE and Aurena. While IEE field descriptions utilize Rich Text Format (RTF), Aurena employs Markdown text. The editor for handling markdown text exists for IFS Cloud. 

I cannot say why the English version looks ok but not the translated version, but knowing these limitations, these kinds of issues are expected. 

A note on customizations/configurations

If it is a coded customization, then it should function in the same way as core layer texts.

If it is a configuration (custom fields/custom attributes), IFS does not support field descriptions.

@Jamie Byrne @Åsa_B 

As our organization has started building out more and more custom configurations/fields/attributes, the lack of being able to add/edit field descriptions for these has been a disappointing limitation. It’s arguably more important for these to be documented than native IFS fields.

As far as modifying existing descriptions, it would be not be as much in our nature to want to change them and deviate from default IFS language.

In general, we’ve found the descriptions a very good starting point and quick reference for admins and end users alike, leading us into a more targeted deep dive of IFS help documentation.