Question

DR setup with multiple hosts

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

HI Our customer is using 2 databases hosted on 2 machine for DR setup. one is passive other one is active. but in a disaster it will automatically activate the passive node and do the switch. tns entry looks like below. does ifs support this setup with multiple hosts? if sohow can we configure the 2 hosts(since installer only allows 1 host)? customer in APP10 UPD8

DESCRIPTION = (CONNECT_TIMEOUT=15) (FAILOVER = ON) (LOAD_BALANCE = OFF) (TRANSPORT_CONNECT_TIMEOUT=6) (ADDRESS_LIST = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = doliadpv146.hq.emirates.com)(PORT = 6516)) (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = hqliadpv146.hq.emirates.com)(PORT = 6516))) (CONNECT_DATA = (SERVICE_NAME = engmroop_ha)))

This topic has been closed for comments

10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

Yes, IFS Supports Clustering multiple nodes for Application MWS Server.

You can find the technical documentation on https://docs.ifs.com/techdocs/

Search for ‘Cluser’ or follow this path

Path: 

Userlevel 7
Badge +31

Hi @xitfahads,

I am not sure if this can be done. But you can try changing your database connection URL from IFS Middleware Server Admin Console like below.

Here you can specify your URL with 2 hosts and see whether it works. I haven’t really seen any customers who use such a URL though, so I don’t know for sure whether it works. When I tried duplicating the same host in the connection string, it validated as a valid connection, so you would probably be alright. 

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Yes, IFS Supports Clustering multiple nodes for Application MWS Server.

You can find the technical documentation on https://docs.ifs.com/techdocs/

Search for ‘Cluser’ or follow this path

Path: 

HI Srikanth, this is not a cluster setup it is knows as advance data guard DR setup.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi @xitfahads,

I am not sure if this can be done. But you can try changing your database connection URL from IFS Middleware Server Admin Console like below.

Here you can specify your URL with 2 hosts and see whether it works. I haven’t really seen any customers who use such a URL though, so I don’t know for sure whether it works. When I tried duplicating the same host in the connection string, it validated as a valid connection, so you would probably be alright. 

Hope this helps!

HI Charith, Yes this was my first place to go to as well. but we are not allowed to alter the url over here i can do it on the config file level. I will try this. I also have a concern since this type of setup is not supported on installer level will it be breach support contract?

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

There are multiple files that store the connection string in the config folder, i am not sure if there are more and oracle wallet will be affected. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +31

Hi @xitfahads,

HI Charith, Yes this was my first place to go to as well. but we are not allowed to alter the url over here i can do it on the config file level. I will try this. I also have a concern since this type of setup is not supported on installer level will it be breach support contract?

That does not sound right. This is the place to correctly change the database connection URL in IFSAPP10. If what you mean by you are not allowed to alter the url is that the save button is not getting enabled, then it must be because you are not entering the IFSSYS password.

The save button gets enabled only if you enter the IFSSYS password and the text box to enter the IFSSYS password only becomes visible when you make some change to the URL. This text box to enter the password does not stand out once it becomes visible and anyone who is using the feature for the first time could easily miss it. Therefore please double check that. Please also read the answer of following post which explains this with a screenshot:

The reason you can no longer change the database connection URL from the installer is so that you can do it from IFS MWS Admin Console without having to do a reconfiguration of the whole application server and with minimal down time. There are many other such configuration changes that have been moved from the installer to IFS MWS Admin Console in IFSAPP10 for the same reason. Using the IFS MWS Admin Console to do these configuration changes most certainly will not breach your support contract.

Furthermore, directly changing configuration files is not a good practice as there is no guarantee that the change you do would propagate to all the places as it should. Also the change could get easily overwritten when you do a reconfiguration or install a delivery, if you do not do it the correct way.

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi @xitfahads,

That does not sound right. This is the place to correctly change the database connection URL in IFSAPP10. If what you mean by you are not allowed to alter the url is that the save button is not getting enabled, then it must be because you are not entering the IFSSYS password.

The save button gets enabled only if you enter the IFSSYS password and the text box to enter the IFSSYS password only becomes visible when you make some change to the URL. This text box to enter the password does not stand out once it becomes visible and anyone who is using the feature for the first time could easily miss it. Therefore please double check that. Please also read the answer of following post which explains this with a screenshot:

The reason you can no longer change the database connection URL from the installer is so that you can do it from IFS MWS Admin Console without having to do a reconfiguration of the whole application server and with minimal down time. There are many other such configuration changes that have been moved from the installer to IFS MWS Admin Console in IFSAPP10 for the same reason. Using the IFS MWS Admin Console to do these configuration changes most certainly will not breach your support contract.

Furthermore, directly changing configuration files is not a good practice as there is no guarantee that the change you do would propagate to all the places as it should. Also the change could get easily overwritten when you do a reconfiguration or install a delivery, if you do not do it the correct way.

Hope this helps!

Thank you charith! i will check on this.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi @xitfahads,

Hope this helps!

Hi Charith, we did the change and tried the switch over but it failed with tns unresolved error. when looking at the logs looks like only one host is taken for startup. so i guess this is not supported.

Userlevel 7
Badge +31

HI @xitfahads,

Please subscribe and monitor the following post. It looks like you have the same issue.

This post is currently awaiting a response from product development.

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

HI @xitfahads,

Please subscribe and monitor the following post. It looks like you have the same issue.

This post is currently awaiting a response from product development.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Charith i in contact with anushka through a support case.