Question

Document Management change of FTP Server

• 27 April 2021
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Because our old FTP site we used for IFS Document management was on an old Windows 2008 R2 server, we needed to set up a new site on a new Server  (And because our Network Admin set up new IP numbering scheme, I couldn’t just down the old site and reuse the IP on the new site.) 

The OLD Ftp site pointed to a file share on a newer server so the files didn’t need to move - just the FTP site that handles the moving and opening of the files needed to be changed. 

So I set up a new FTP site with a new IP address.  This works fine for the new documents but we need to shut down the old FTP site so all the previously uploaded files need their LOCATION_NAME changed to point to the new repository id.  I was instructed by IFS personnel to use the ‘Change Document Repository’ option - but that option in this situation ends up deleting the files. 

Makes sense when you think about it.  

1. Old Repository points to \\myserver\myshare\myfolder
  2. New Repository points to same \\myserver\myshare\myfolder.
  3. Change Document Repository copies files in Repository ID (1) and saves them in (2) (which is same folder), then deletes them in 1 (which is also 2) - so presto they are gone.

I was able to restore the files so all is well. 

I did not do this on my larger repositories, many of which have over 100,000 documents.   It doesn’t make any sense to copy and paste them to the same location, delete them, and restore them all to get them to the new repository id.  There has got to be an easier way.

Can I just update the LOCATION_NAME in the EDM_FILE_TAB table to the new repository id?  Is there anywhere else that it needs to be changed in?

I would also like to point out that if IFS let you use DNS in the Repository Address field then all of this could have been avoided.  Nothing in IFS would have to be changed.  All we would have to do is change the IP on the DNS name in DNS.

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @CHFFORBESN,

Regarding FTP configurations, one place is repositories tab under ‘EDM Basics’ window (Document Mangement → Basic Data → EDM Basics). There is another location which holds FTP information related to supplier invoices. Navigate to Company window (Application Base Setup → Enterprise → company → company) and navigate through tabs ‘Invoice’ → Supplier Invoice Workflow → ‘Document Management’ tab. 

As for the manual data repair, it does make sense to modify the old location names with the new repository id. But if proceeding for the data repair option, best way would be to check all the references by IFS Support and get the script (if feasible) - so there is a confirmation by the product experts. Otherwise if the custom script corrupted data furthermore, it will be challenging to get support on it...

And for the suggestion you have motioned, you can report this to IFS Support as an “Idea for future development” so they will log it for RnD.

Hope this will be helpful.

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

I finally got approval from IFS that I could manually update the repository ID’s in the Table.  That resolved my issues.  I did made the DNS name suggestion as well.