Solved

Customer invoices in PDF/A format

• 11 October 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

When creating customer invoices [invoice documents] in IFS10 version, is there a possibility to create them in the format PDF/A?

This Community post discusses about ability to do it for report designer documents:

https://community.ifs.com/framework-experience-infrastructure-cloud-integration-dev-tools-50/make-report-designer-pdf-a-compliant-6162

However, it is not clear if the same format can be used for customer invoices.

If this is possible, kindly add more details on how this can be achieved.

Thanks!

[This post is entered behalf of an App10 customer]

icon

Best answer by Kasun Balasooriya 12 October 2021, 08:00

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi,

Have you looked into the below thread? 

System Parameter Make Report Designer PDF/A compliant | IFS Community

Regarding, “However, it is not clear if the same format can be used for customer invoices.”

if the above query is with regards to IFS report designer reports, the functionality is there to support it. 

I remember there was a code block which enabled PDF/A conversion for crystal reports as well but I am not sure about other report types. 

Thanks,
Kasun

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi Kasun, 

Thank you for the above response. Could you mind adding more details from the thread in this common post [which is externally visible] so that external parties would be able to make use of it?

Thanks and Best regards,

Gayathrie

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Explanation from @Charith Epitawatta  on PDF/A

PDF/A is an ISO-standardized version of the Portable Document Format (PDF) specialized for use in the archiving and long-term preservation of electronic documents. PDF/A differs from PDF by prohibiting features unsuitable for long-term archiving, such as font linking (as opposed to font embedding) and encryption.

It is unlikely that this would cause any significant overhead to the Report Formatter. 

As far as I know, this only makes IFS reports partially compliant with PDF/A standard and will not be validated as compliant by some third-party PDF/A compliance validators. 

Reference - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDF/A

Question and Answer regarding PDF/A

Hi All,Few questions on System Parameter Make Report Designer PDF/A compliantI’ve got through an issue linked below, which has been resolved by setting the above parameter to NO

So just want to know about Make Report Designer PDF/A compliant specifically as follows.

1. What is the purpose of having this parameter?

Enabling this parameter will enable the IFS application generated reports to have PDF/A compliance. PDF/A is an ISO-standardized version of the Portable Document Format (PDF)

2.What is the impact of setting this to NO?

If this setting is set to No then the reports which are implementing PDF/A signing will not be able to use it. 

1. Does this add any overhead to the report formatter.

The report formatter will take more time to process and generate the reports as I can understand but I’m not sure it will be an overhead. However, I have come across a situation an error was thrown when this parameter was set to ON ( but PDF/A signing was not used) with crystal reports. We had instructed to set the parameter to OFF in that instance as the customer was not using the functionality.  So if it’s not necessary to use PDF/A signing within the application, it would be okay to set the parameter to OFF. 

Thanks,

Kasun

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Thank you, Kasun! 😊